Chapter 56

I nodded, looking up at Daniel, "Sounds about right," I said.
After a moment I stood up, "What do you want for dinner?" I asked.
Daniel thought for a moment, "I don't care, anything you make is good,"

____________________________

May 21st

I had finished making dinner when Daniel returned home, removing his shoes to switch them to his inside shoes, and putting his hat on the hook. "Welcome home, dinner should be on the table shortly," I said, Daniel ended up staying late for a report and let me know during lunch when he had showed up at university.

A minute later I had placed dinner on the table, and we sat beside each other. "Do you want to go on a date tomorrow night?" he asked.
I choked on the food in my mouth, "Pardon?"
"A date tomorrow night," he repeated.

I thought for a moment, "Where? We don't have lots of money to spend," I reasoned.
"How about we go to the park again? Just a small dinner, where with some luck, we are alone," Daniel offered, holding onto my hand, rubbing his thumb over the back of my hand.

I nodded, "Well, a picnic would be nice if there is good weather, and it's been a while," I said.
Daniel grinned, "It's sorted then," he said, quickly kissing my temple.

I looked at him, "What brought this on? You haven't been this affectionate for a while," I commented.
Daniel chuckled, "I guess, and I realised that, so I want to show you, we don't go on dates often, I miss it. We went on dates frequently in Oxford, going to that cramped tearoom, goodness knows how much I hated being there, but being with you was worth the stares. The times we went to the Cinema, I don't like cramped places due to my arm, but it was always nice to go out with you, and I feel we don't do that anymore, I miss it," Daniel muttered.

I nodded, "I suppose so, but we had your parents living with us, we were engaged and living together, so dates didn't seem necessary anymore, and I know you don't like public places too much, you are worried about what people will think, but I've seen much improvement, you are comfortable around me, the Whitestones and your family, and are more confident outside, that's what I love. I know if someone asks, you get embarrassed, and I wouldn't blame you, it's a personal thing," I explained.

Daniel smiled, "This is why I'm going to marry you," he smirked and grabbed my left hand bringing it to himself, making my arm cross over my body as my right hand was closer to Daniel. "You are so caring, my dear."
I felt a smile stretch on my face, we managed to finish eating dinner and washed the dishes.

The next day Daniel and I went through our usual routine, Daniel finishing work early.
I walked home and saw Daniel reading a book on the couch. I sat next to him, "I realised that it is Friday, don't you have Synagogue and Shabbat dinner with your family," I said.
Daniel sighed, "We've cancelled the dinner for a reason I don't know, as for Synagogue we can leave afterwards, " he said, convincing me.
"What do you want for dinner?" I asked.
Daniel looked at me, "Something that would work for a picnic, so finger food and a nice desert would be fine," Daniel muttered.

I thought for a moment, "How does German Apple Strudel sound?" I asked, "I just need to find a recipe, I haven't made it since I lived with Mama at the boarding house, so I don't remember how to make it very well, and there aren't many German recipes in England, since the English aren't fond of us, after the war and all. Do you know if your mother has a recipe I could borrow?" I asked.

Daniel nodded, "Probably, you could ask, I'm sure that is something she would be willing to give you. She would like me to eat German meals," Daniel thought aloud.
"I'll leave in a minute," I said, going to our room to change out of my Sunday best into a house dress I had brought a short time ago, it reminded me of something my mother would wear with its simple floral design, slightly squared puffed sleeves and the v-neck neckline with a sharp collar, the buttons going from the collar to the hem, even the way I had styled my hair was similar to Mama's when we were going out.