Chapter 64

I sighed, linking our arms, "I know, but your family is so important to you, I could never get in the way," I whispered.
Daniel didn't speak for a while, "Gretchen, you should know I choose you every time," he said blandly.

______________________________

The next day after we agreed on a time I left for Daniel's parent's house. I knocked on the door and saw that Frau Cohen was dressed in a more Edwardian dress. The white striped blouse and the pleated skirt reached her shins, contrary to the Edwardian skirts reaching the ankles or floor.  She wore flat house shoes, and her hair was styled in a modern fashion, not a common sight, but it somehow worked.

"Fräulein Müller, come in," she greeted.
I walked in and took my heels off and Frau Cohen gave me some shoes, "Frau Cohen, how..." I trailed off.
She sighed, "You'll find Daniel can be persuasive, he convince us that we should get you inside shoes since you come over often, he managed to find your shoe size and style you like," She explained, although not sounding thrilled.

I nodded, "I see, he should've consulted with me first though," I muttered, taking the shoes from Frau Cohen, putting them on.
Frau Cohen led me to the study and we started to finish the sewing. After an hour we finished the sewing, "You've been practising," Frau Cohen commented.

I nodded, "I've spent the past week or so sewing roses, that dress I wore yesterday when Daniel and I stopped by, it was more or less practice," I explained.
Frau Cohen nodded, "I see, you did a good job, now, do you want to try the dress on? I'll bring the girls in so they can see what it looks like, I'll also get your heels so the dress looks like it will on your wedding day," she explained.

I nodded, "That sounds like a good idea," I said standing up.
Frau Cohen nodded, "Give me a shout if you need some help," she informed me.
I nodded and took the dress to the spare room. I closed the curtains for my privacy as I got changed. I took my blouse and skirt off, along with the inside shoes Frau Cohen gave me. I stepped into the dress she made.

I managed to zip most of the dress but struggled to get it all the way up, "Frau Cohen, I need some assistance!" I called out. Frau Cohen came in.
"What is it? Is there something wrong with the dress?" she asked.
I shook my head, "I just need help with the zipper, it's only just out of my reach," I explained.

Frau Cohen nodded and zipped the last of it. I shivered slightly at the cold metal touching the part of my back in the middle of my shoulder blades.
Frau Cohen looked at me for a second, "I would like to see the veil, but you don't have the headpiece picked out yet," she commented.

I nodded, "Now, let us test hairstyles, hair up or hair down?" she questioned.
I thought for a while, "I think hair up works better, the headpiece should sit better that way," I concluded.

Frau Cohen nodded, "Well, in that case, what hairstyle are you thinking? I want to give you the full feel," She grinned.
I felt weird, she was a completely different person, "Frau Cohen, why are you doing this?" I asked.

Daniel's mother looked to me, "Fräulein Müller, you are marrying my only son, and you don't have your mother here with you, I might as well give you the proper experience. Keith's (Herr Cohen) mother is also coming over to see the dress," she explained, fixing the layers of the dress.
I stood still, I felt my throat tighten and tears start to well up in my eyes, "Fräulein Müller, whatever is making you cry?" she asked.
I quickly wiped my tears away, "It's nothing, I'm thankful for what you are doing, that's all," I half lied.

I was thankful for what Frau Cohen was doing, but I missed my mother, although I couldn't ever picture my mother being this kind to me, she never was. I was only there to help with housework. She's only hugged me, properly hugged me enough times I could count on one hand.