Chapter 73

Julia opened the door, wearing a house dress with a furred coat to keep her warm. "My word, Gretchen, it's freezing out there, come in, I'll make you a hot chocolate," she said, leading me indoors.
I shook my head, "I'm wearing a woollen travel wear, it's kept me warm," I explained. After talking for a few moments we went to bed.

__________________________________

The next morning I woke up and quickly changed into a pleated dress with long sleeves. The sleeves went to the middle of my arms and buttoned to my waist, a matching belt on my waist. The dress went a few centimetres past my knees, there was a v-neck.

I put my lace-up boots on and styled my hair before getting the £40 we got for Colin. We had also gotten a book on how to identify guns and how to use them, mainly loading. I had the money and card on the front page, although we hadn't wrapped our gift. I left it in a drawer before going downstairs where Julia and Alfred were talking.

"Gretchen, nice to see you, sorry I wasn't there to greet you, I had a long day at the clinic," he said.
I laughed, "it's fine, Alfred," I said.
Julia turned to me, "Do you have a gift for Colin?" She asked.

I nodded, "yeah, it's in my room," I said.
Julia nodded, "I'll wake the boys up, you can get your gift," she said. I nodded and went upstairs to get the gift.

I kept the gift behind me, listening to the footsteps of Colin. I got down and kept it behind me as I sat down next to Alfred. The other boys came into the living room, sitting on the other couch as Julia came in, her hands covering Colin's eyes, leading him to the seat.

He sat down and Julia covered his eyes, "Happy Birthday, Colin," Alfred said.
I nodded, "Happy birthday," I said.
Julia grabbed the gifts at Alfred's feet and gave them to Colin, "These are from us," she said.

Colin opened them, thanking them, although he didn't seem that thrilled.
I stood up and grabbed my gift, "These are from Daniel and I, unfortunately, Daniel was unable to make it," I said.

Colin sighed, "Open it," I said.
Colin opened the front page and opened the envelope, "£40?" he asked, yet again uninterested.
I sighed, "Colin, I don't care if you are 15, but you should be thankful for some money and a hardcover book, they aren't cheap," I commented, glaring at him.

Colin sighed, rolling his eyes, "Yeah right Nazi, you're German, your people-" I cut him off.
"Colin, don't talk about things you don't know," I snapped, trying to quiet my voice low, feeling myself stare daggers at him.

Colin stared right at me, "you are proving a point," he said.
I sighed and turned on my heel, "I think I'll go home," I muttered, going upstairs.
"What is she so angry about?" Colin asked.

Alfred spoke next, "Colin, you did insult her, and she was right, you don't know much about her life in Germany, her father fought in the Great War, so you've insulted his memory, she has also had bad experiences with Nazis," he explained.

I got into my room and closed the door, sitting on my bed. I wouldn't want to go home and not let Daniel know. I packed my bags and walked down, "Sorry to cut my visit short, I hope you have a good birthday," I said before leaving.

I managed to get a train after 30 minutes. After another 2 or so hours I got to London. I opened the door and saw a note. I read Daniel's messy loopy handwriting.

My Gretchen,
I have moved to my parent's house for Sukkot.
I'm writing this is the chance I'm unable to meet you for whatever reason,
Your Daniel.