Chapter 21

December 1st

Mathilde Pov (The oldest of Daniels younger sisters)

I woke up and got changed, ready for school, I went downstairs and went into the kitchen "Good morning, Mama, Papa," I said, greeting them before making myself some breakfast.

"Oh, there's two telegrams from England, the dates they were sent are about a month or so apart, but still quite a few months ago, July and August, I guess the government does read our letters," Mama sighed. "Wait! They're from England! It has to be from Daniel," Mama added. The thought just slipped her mind.

Her yelling must've gotten the attention of Inge and Edda since they rushed down "What's the yelling about?" Inge asked.
"We've got telegrams from England; they'd have to be from Daniel," Mama explained.

Mama opened the telegram sent in July first "It says: The Lion is safe in his new lair. He hopes you will join him." Mama read.
I smiled "Daniels safe, that's good to hear. Are we ever going to visit or move to England?" I asked, wanting to see my older brother, after all this time.
My father grunted "It's unlikely. Unless we are put in danger, or forced to leave, I see no reason. While I want to see Daniel again, I think it's best of we stay in Germany," Papa said sternly.

"Now, how about we read the other telegram?" Mama said, before reading it "To my Pride, I would like to say I now have a den. It is not even in the same city as it once was, if you would like to contact me, or visit me, you'd have to go to the very first 'Den' I lived in, although it was only for a few months. The Pride that lives there can tell you where my current Den is, I miss you and hope I can see you soon
-Lion." Mama read out.

Papa shook his head "We told him that we aren't coming. Unless I find a decent reason otherwise," Papa said.
I was shocked "You met with him?" I asked, shocked.
Mama nodded "Back in March he and that girl, came after you guys already left," Mama spat.

Inge perked up "Can't you call Fräulein Müller by her name? She seems to have changed," she muttered before going up the stairs, followed by Edda.
They came back down shortly later.

After school my little sisters and I started to walk home "Mathilde, why do you think Mama and Papa didn't tell us about meeting Daniel and Fräulein Müller?" Inge asked.
I thought for a second "Well, Mama and Papa don't like Fräulein Müller since, you know, she was a" I looked around before speaking "Nazi. And now Daniel is wanted for murder, something which it is a lie, there is no way Daniel would even have the guts to use a gun, at least not on anything living. So I guess they didn't want us to know about it, so we don't blabber about it," I sighed.

Edda nodded "I agree, but I still wished they told us about it," she sighed.
After we went home, we saw Mama focused on a dress that she was making "Oh girls, you're home," she said.
She got up and gave use something to eat "Mama, are you ok? It seems like your mind is somewhere else," Edda asked.
Mama looked at us "I'm just thinking. Remember how Daniel would describe Fräulein Müller?" She asked.
We nodded "He said she is a bright person, talkative, normally smiling, and seems to put others first." I said, recalling what Mama and Papa had read out to us.

"What of it?" Inge questioned.
Mama sighed "He was wrong. She was as quiet as a mouse. She barely spoke. I believe that they were holding hands when they arrived, but she let his hand go when I hugged him, she stepped back, giving us space. She seemed rather timid, almost like she wanted to hide. She kept her gaze down or to the side, not really looking at Papa or myself, like she knew what she did. Your brother had cried, and Fräulein Müller looked to the side, maybe not wanting to embarrass him. She had a fairly solemn expression for the most part. It was almost like she didn't know what to feel, not once did I see her smile, it was all sad, or plain." she take a deep inhale.

"When I told her to sit, since Daniel looked ready to drop, she did so rather quickly. She was fiddling with her hands, I'd imagine she was nervous being here. I shouldn't've been so cold towards her, she was also probably scared for Daniels safety, and her own, if I recalled correctly, she was meant to have blonde hair, not brown. Since Daniel said Herr Hitler wants her dead, she was probably trying not to be recognised, or not as easily." she regained her composure looking up slightly, before continuing. 

"I'm getting side tracked; she did smile, slightly after sitting down, it seemed forced, and sad. She had noticed your fathers and I's reaction almost immediately, she was trying to smile, for Daniels sake, it was clear, it was a clearly forced smile.
When I gave them food, she muttered a quiet 'Thank you', she seemed well mannered, I suppose.
As I said, she kept her head down. When I gave them coffee, Fräulein Müller had looked around the house, not really lifting her head. When she saw a smile of Daniel as a child, I saw a small, genuine smile on her face. Although it was gone after a moment, I'd guess she didn't grow up as well off as you girls. Since her father fought in the war, and I believed died a few years later.
When Daniel finally decided to introduce us, since he got side tracked in seeing us again, we cut him off, we knew who she was-" Mama was cut off when Papa walked through the door.

"Did I interrupt something?" Papa asked.
Mama shook her head "I was telling them what happened when Fräulein Müller came over," Mama said. Papa's face darkened; something must have happened.
"Continue, I'll chime in when needed," Papa said, Mama nodded before continuing.

"As I was saying. We said we knew who she was. Both your father and I lost our temper a bit, since Daniel had said National Socialist, rather than Nazi, he knew we were angry since he spoke quietly after, while Fräulein Müller had looked down, she did seem upset at it.
We got into a fight, Daniel and us, Fräulein Müller remined quiet for the most part.
When we said that their relationship may cost Daniels life. She spoke, saying she understood and apologised before wiping her eyes before standing up and left. After that, Daniel called to her. I again, lost my temper a bit. I said something that made Fräulein Müller freeze for a second before she grabbed her bag and coat, however she left her gloves here. Through the window we saw her almost running out.
Daniel quickly left, after a short moment he came back, he said goodbye to us and said that we shouldn't have said that she already felt guilty, and that he didn't stay in England for her, it was because of her, because he loves her, not because she needs him. He said he missed us, and you girls, but has to prove his innocence, and that he'll continue with Fräulein Müller, he'll send us a telegram once he is back in England, and that just maybe we'll join before rushing back to Fräulein Müller," Mama said.

Papa sighed "We overreacted a bit, but that girl is hard not to hate, at least for me. She is why Daniel isn't here anymore, she was a Nazi. I accept she has changed, but still," Papa said.
I nodded before going off to my room.

A/N
I decided to add the Cohens perspective on things, I will occasionally switch Povs, but it wouldn't be often.
I hope you have a good rest of your day/night

co a/n:
how long did she talk!? bloody hell.
have a fantastic day/night

word count: 1379