Chapter 53

Please note that any antisemitic terms used are used because it is what the character would say. This is also a disclaimer of mention of the holocaust and a (Mild-ish) description of Dachau Concentration Camp and my own vision of a ghetto that did exist.
I understand that to some readers that this could be personal or emotional, or something you wish not to read, which I completely understand, and went into writing this, fully aware of. I try to avoid anything horribly gruesome or mention much of it, which is hard for bits since this, and the next couple chapters are to bring to light to what is happening in Germany in the 1930s and to hopefully paint a simi-realistic picture of what some people went through. If this is something you wish not to read, stay limited to Gretchen's POV to avoid mention of it.

They looked at me for a moment, "Daniel, they are still criminals, and more of the point, you've killed someone?" Samuel asked.

I shook my head, "No, I was accused of it. There is only one person who I've aimed a gun or pistol at, and he was killed by his own commander, and I was only going to shoot if he tried to hurt Gretchen or their mother. I couldn't live with knowing I've killed someone. So I haven't killed anyone, and I don't plan to either," I said bitterly.

_____________________________

Three people came down, including Bridgit. "Daniel! It's been too long," she said, about to hug me, but must've realised that I wouldn't hug back and that we weren't too close, instead she shook my hand.
I chuckled slightly, "Yes, how have you been?" I asked.

She nodded, "I'm good, how is Gretchen?" Bridgit asked.
I laughed, "Gretchen is going fine. I proposed a couple of years ago, and are going to get married in about two years since that is when Gretchen graduates," I explained.

Bridgit squealed, "Really! That's good news! I knew you two would stay together," she said, sounding really excited.
I noticed a few odd looks from my co-workers, "Bridgit, how is your English?" I asked.
"Not the best, why?" She asked.

"Bridget, these are my co-workers, Samuel and John," I said in English, but she seemed to understand.
"You know no German?" she asked in careful English.
The boys nodded, "Bridgit is one of Gretchen's friends. I just told her of Gretchen's and I's engagement, so she is asking many questions." I explained in English.

"May I ask what the ring looks like?" She asked in poor English.
"It has a silver band and a small amethyst stone," I explained in English, telling her that if she needs me to speak German, I can.
"I would've gotten her a better ring, but I don't have the money," I explained.

Bridget sighed, "Gretchen strikes me as one who likes the simple things, besides, I know that girl loves you," She explained.
After a while, we talked about the political standings in Germany, and I took notes, and my co-workers could take some since the Ringverein could speak some English.

We ended up spending a few weeks in Germany before we packed up and left to go home to England. I bid Bridgit goodbye, telling her the Times addresses, and said that it's where I work, and if she ever visits London, she knows how to find us.

We made our way to Dunkirk in France as our first stop. As soon as we got off the train I rushed to a telephone booth and dialled Gretchen and I's telephone.

"Gretchen Whitestone speaking," I heard Gretchen say, although she sounded tired, and something seemed off.
"Gretchen, it's Daniel," I said, letting her know it was me.
"Daniel!?" Gretchen exclaimed, sounding relieved, "It's so good to hear your voice again. Where on earth have you been, we've been worried sick," She said fast, speaking German, to the point I almost had trouble understanding her.
"I'll tell you later, I'll be in Dover in around three and a half hours, and London another two, you can meet me there at 8:30 pm, and tell my family good-" I was cut off by Gretchen
"Daniel, listen, once you get to London, you might be in a shock, it's something better told in person, if only you got here even a few days ago," She said.