Chapter 74

I pulled back, letting the tears stream in silence. Daniel ran his knuckles along my cheek, "Daniel," I choked, pulling Daniel into a hug, hearing his heart.

______________________________

Sunday, October 11th

I was looking in the mirror as I touched up my cosmetics as Daniel styled his hair. I tried to put my pearl necklace Alfred had brought me for my 'birthday' but Daniel held his hands over mine, "I'll do it, Gretchen," he said quietly.

Daniel gently kissed the flesh under my ear, "Are you ready?" he asked.
I nodded, "Yeah..." I muttered, grabbing Daniel's hand in my gloved one.
We walked downstairs and I grabbed a black purse and a dark hat as we left the house to go to the Cohens.

Daniel pulled his fedora down, obscuring his face, "Daniel?" I whispered.
Daniel looked at me pained, "I'm fine," he choked.
I looked over his face, "I never asked if you were okay, proving my point you aren't okay, and it's okay for you to not be okay," I muttered, rubbing my thumb over the back of his hand.
Daniel squeezed it, "You always know when I'm not, well-" I cut him off.
"You don't need to explain," I muttered.

An hour later we were at the funeral of Herr Benjamin Cohen, Daniel's Opa. When I tried to sit at the back of the room Daniel tugged my arm slightly, "Gretchen, I need you today, can you please sit at the front with me and my family?" he asked.

I saw Frau Cohen behind Daniel, "Miss Whitestone, you are welcome, Daniel needs support, support you can provide," she said.
I nodded, looking at the floor as I stood up, walking with them to the front.
We all sat at the front, and I sat next to Daniel, holding each other's hands. I could hear some whispers behind us.

I could feel my ears heat up, Daniel turned to me, "Gretchen, it's fine. It's only because Opa died, it's regular talk," he whispered, although I knew he was only saying that to make me feel better, they were talking about us.
I nodded slowly, I heard someone behind us talk about me, rather, the unfamiliar girl next to Mr. Cohens' grandson. 

Daniel turned around, "Yes?" he asked.
"Who is that woman?" the woman asked.
Daniel sighed, giving me an apologetic look, "My fiancée? Is there an issue?" he asked, I could hear the pain in his voice.
The woman sighed, "No," she said.
Daniel looked at me, "Are you ok?" he asked.
I looked at him for a moment, "Am I ok? Daniel, this is your grandfather's funeral, you shouldn't bother with me," I murmured. 

After the funeral, we were at Daniel's grandmother's house. There weren't any other people, only family and myself. We all had a small dinner before Frau Ursula Cohen spoke up, looking at Daniel and I, "Daniel, Gretchen, when are you two going to get married and have a child?" she asked.

I choked on the water I was drinking, coughing, making sure I heard her right. Daniel had coughed some food onto the table, "I beg your pardon?" I asked, still coughing.
I looked at Daniel who was looking at me, "Marriage and children?" she repeated, "I want to know if I'll ever see great-grandchildren, I'm sure Albert agrees," she said.

I couldn't speak, I was choking on my words, I looked at Daniel desperately. Daniel cleared his throat, "You know when we plan to marry, either late next year or early 1938, children are more complicated," Daniel grumbled his ears red.
"We don't know if we can have children, or how pregnancy might treat Gretchen, or what happens between now and then," Daniel added, his voice slightly more confident voice.

Frau Ursula Cohen looked at me, "You're opinion?" she asked me.
I stared at her for a moment, she asked for my opinion, "Um, I don't know, I guess we'll just see how things go," I muttered. "I don't see how this is exactly appropriate to have during afternoon tea, and given the circumstances," I added, still trying to cool down my red face.

Frau Ursula Cohen had a pained expression, "Life and death are natural, necessary. I don't understand why you want to work, go to university and not settle down and start a family, same for you, Daniel. I always thought you would want a family, it's the culture you grew up with," she explained.

Daniel had a sheepish grin, "We've talked, but at the end of the day it's up to Gretchen, she'll be the one who's pregnant, giving birth, and probably look after the child, or children more often," Daniel said, more questioning at the end. I nodded, that is normally the case, the mother looks after the children, although it sounded like Daniel was planning to help raise the children.

I love the man next to me

FIN

That's all for this book. I realised at chapter 50 something that I've got too many chapters, but I didn't care, but now, I realise it would be easier if I end it here.

I was planning to write about the pregnancies resulting from the 8th Nazi Congress, so that's a hint for what's happening next story. I'll start the next story there before we go into Gretchen and Daniel's marriage life, once they are married.

The next story should end either early WWII (since I pre-write certain chapters) or maybe at the end depending on how the plot works.

I'm already starting to write the third book, it's Journey From Germany 3