Chapter 70

Daniel looked at his watch, "I'd be too late, besides, I don't want to interrupt the service, not that it isn't a common-ish occurrence," he explained.

______________________________

September 8th

I woke up, the sun starting to rise, painting our room in warm colours, I glanced at Daniel and saw he was still in deep sleep. I rolled over and gently kissed Daniel's head before running my hands through Daniel's hair softly.

I took a deep breath before standing up. I changed into a blue floral dress with brown buttons. There was a wide neckline, and the dress went to the upper shins before adding simple navy heels. I kept my hair in its braids before I went downstairs to make breakfast.

I set breakfast on the table and walked up the stairs, seeing Daniel was still asleep. I walked over to him, I gently shook him, "Breakfast is on the table," I said, although Daniel was still asleep.

I sighed, "Daniel!" I said louder, but he still didn't wake up.
I touched my arm with my hand, feeling its coldness, that's something to my advantage. I pulled the covers off Daniel, seeing him shiver, "Mama, I want to sleep," he grumbled.

I scoffed, "I'm not your mother, Daniel," I said sternly.
Daniel sat up, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes, "What time is it?" he grumbled.
"It's 6:40," I said.

Daniel swung his legs over the edge of the bed, "You've already made breakfast?" he asked.
I nodded, "Yes, quickly get changed, at least in your undershirt and pants," I said, turning on my heel, starting to make my way downstairs.

Daniel came down after a few minutes, his suspenders over his undershirt. We started to eat breakfast, listening to the radio, trying to hear if there was anything about the 8th National Socialist (Nazi) Party Congress.
After breakfast, we went to the bathroom to finish getting ready for the day.

At 7:10 we gathered our belongings. We both had a plain notebook and a few pens and I had made our lunch. We walked to Daniel's work, getting there six minutes early.

We saw Mr. Astor setting up a radio in the back corner, "Mr. Schröder, Miss Whitestone, nice to see you two have made it. You two will be set up here, so as not to get in the way of the other reporters. Mr. Schröder, your reports are either on hold or given to other reporters, unless you are willing to stay late into the night to work on it," Mr. Astor explained.

Daniel nodded, "I'll stay in till 10 or so, I'll only work on the reports I would've been finishing this week since I already have all the information and have started writing them anyway,"  he explained.

Mr. Astor nodded, "I see, you might be able to work on them in breaks, you two can think about the rest," he said, turning the radio on, and having us sit at a desk next to it so we could write translations once the 8th National Socialist Party Congress started.

"What are we going to do for dinner?" I asked as I waited for the radio to play what we needed.
Daniel sighed, "I don't know, once we get home you could cook something basic, or maybe Mama could leave some food for us to eat," he suggested, stopping once we heard Horst-Wessel-Lied, the Third Reich (Nazi Germany/Germany 1933-45) anthem start to play.

Daniel and I shared a knowing look, it was starting. I took a deep breath, hoping I don't react badly to hearing Hitler's voice.
After a minute of Horst-Wessel-Lied, I heard Heinrich Himmler, my old boss, voice start to speak.

I noted it was him speaking as I wrote what he was saying, mainly an introduction to the congress/rally. After he spoke for a minute, the marching song Erika started to play, "Who spoke? And what's this song?" Daniel asked, slipping into German, probably from hearing it.