Chapter 42

She started to gaze off into nothing, and I saw her eyes watering, "Fräulein Müller, whatever is the matter?" I asked her.
"Pardon?" she asked.
I gestured to her face. She touched her face.
"I'm fine, it's nothing," she muttered wiping her eyes.
I scoffed before leaving. This girl and her emotions.

_____________________________

Gretchen Pov
April 20th

I woke up and went downstairs and made breakfast. After a while, the Cohens came downstairs and we started to eat breakfast.
After a while we all got changed and as the Cohens were about to leave for synagogue when Daniel stopped and picked something up.

"Gretchen, there's some mail for you!" he called out.
I stood up and grabbed it, "It's from Mary, I wonder what she wants. I'll tell you after work, now you ought to go," I said before the Cohens left.

I opened the letter and read it:

Hello Miss Gretchen Whitestone,
You are invited to Mary Stone and John Smith's wedding on the first of June.
You have been given the offer to be a bridesmaid to Mary Smith.
You are welcome to invite a plus one.
Please respond as soon as possible by calling the bride.

I was shocked. I wasn't aware she even had a beau. I'd have to talk to Daniel about it.

After work, I rushed home and entered the parlour. I saw Daniel reading a book on the couch. Daniel looked up to me, "May I ask what the letter said?" he asked.
I nodded and sat beside him, "Marys getting married and I've been invited to be a bridesmaid, and I'm allowed to bring a plus one," I explained.

Daniel nodded, "So, are you going?" he asked.
I sighed, "I'm planning on going. I would ask you to attend, but the first of June is a Saturday, and I don't want to get in the way of anything," I explained.

Daniel sighed, "Well, we could go a week or two early, so I could go to the synagogue there," he explained.
I nodded and stood up and called Mary.

"Hello, Alice Stone speaking," I heard a voice say.
"Hello Mrs Stone, I'm Gretchen Whitestone, I was wondering if I could talk to Mary," I explained.
She hummed and I waited a moment before I heard Mary's voice, "Hello Gretchen, I take it you got my letter?" she asked.
"Yes, I have. I am honoured to be your bridesmaid at your wedding, and I am intending on bringing a plus one, Daniel, unless something happens between now and then," I explained.

I heard Mary hum, "Have you talked to him about it?" she asked.
"Yes, I have, we might come a week in advance, unless you need me there earlier?" I replied.
"That's good, although, for dress fittings and the rest of planning, from the 11th of May," she explained.

"Ok, I'll call my university and let them know I won't be attending classes from those days," I said.
We bid each other goodbye and I put the receiver down.

I walked over to Daniel and sat down next to him, "We have to be there from the 11th of May till the wedding date, well, a few days after since we need to go between Oxford and London, not to mention the after party, and the actual wedding, goodness knows how that would go. I might actually get drunk, or not, hard to tell since I'm not a huge drinker," I muttered quietly, closing my eyes.

Daniel wrapped his arm around me and lightly kissed my head. After a while, I fell asleep.
I woke up in my bed with Daniel lightly shaking me awake, I saw it was sunset and I cursed under my breath, "I forgot to make dinner," I said, putting my head in my hands.
Daniel chuckled, "It's fine, my mother made dinner, and she seemed fairly happy about it," he explained.