11

Omniscient POV
February 7, 2008
Mrs. Smith's Foster
Care For All Children

Toni and Janet got out of the car and stood in front of a building named 'Mrs. Smith Foster Care For All Children'. They finally decided to go to the place Whitney recommended. The other day, Janet made an appointment online for today. The two of them are thinking about possibly adopting the child that they will be fostering, if all goes well. The couple walked inside and instantly a bunch of kids ran to them knowing that they were famous. They talked with the children but none of the kids stood out to Toni or Janet. Just then Mrs. Smith walked up to the couple and the rest of the children went to go play with their toys in the living room.

"Hi Mrs. and Mrs. Jackson." Mrs. Smith said and they walked to the table to sit. Janet pulled out the chair for Toni to sit on before taking a seat.

"Hi, Mrs. Smith." They both said at the same time.

"Would you guys like something to drink? Tea, water, juice, anything?"

"No thank you." She nodded and clasped her hands.

"Did any of the kids stand out to you guys?"

"No, not really." Janet answered.

"Do you have any other kids?" Toni asked. Mrs. Smith looked in the living room where the kids were playing and noticed that one was missing.

"Yes, I'll go get her. She's probably reading or coloring." They nodded their heads and waited as Mrs. Smith left to go get her. A couple of seconds later she came into the dining area with a little girl who looked about 3 or 4. The little girl was reading a book— her eyes never leaving them as she walked.

"This is Skai. She's three and as you can see she loves to read. Skai doesn't talk but she's not deaf. The only way she can communicate is through writing or ASL. You guys can talk to her but she'll just sign back. Do you guys know ASL?"

"Yes, we do." Janet answered because Toni was too busy examining the book that Skai was reading. The book was titled 'The Rainbow Fish' By Marcus Pfister. Toni vividly remembers Paris being Skai's age and loving that book also.

"Skai?" Mrs. Smith called out and she looked up at her.

"This is Mrs. and Mrs. Jackson." Skai looked up at the couple and smiled.

'Are they married?' She signed to Mrs. Smith.

"Yes, they are. Is it okay if they talk to you for a while?" Skai nodded and gave her book to Mrs. Smith to hold. Getting in the chair she looked at them and signed; 'You guys are very pretty.' Mrs. Smith walked away to go play with the other kids.

"Thank you and you are very beautiful." Toni spoke poking her nose and she blushed. That's the first time someone called her beautiful since her grandmother passed away.

"I heard that you are three years old."

'Yup, today is my birthday.' She signed to the couple.

"Happy birthday." 'Thank you.' She signed. They talked to Skai for a while and neither of them noticed that it was getting dark out. They found out that her favorite color is pink and sky blue, her favorite show is Wow! Wow! Wubzzy, her favorite movie is Waiting to Exhale, and a couple of other things.

"Okay, Skai it's getting dark out. I think it's time for Mrs. and Mrs. Jackson to head home now." Mrs. Smith spoke walking into the dining area. Skai ended up falling asleep in Janet's lap which was a shocker to Mrs. Smith because Skai isn't necessarily a people person.

"Oh wow, I guess she likes you guys."

"Yeah." Janet said handing a sleeping Skai to Mrs. Smith.

"We like her too."