02

ARES

"Father" I say as I walk into his office. My Mother is also present.

"Ah, Ares take a seat" he says, acting as if his entire fucking board did not disrespect me mere days ago. I remain standing with the same poised expression on my face. He sighs. "Figlio, marriage is vital to become a Man of full potential, your mother is the reason I have gotten past the stress and burden it is to be the Don" he says.

"I cannot give a woman what you have given Ma, I donot love" I say in a low voice, the word leaving a bitter taste in my mouth.

"The bond of a Marriage is powerful, it gives you the strength to love and share and express feelings-" I cut my mother off.

"I refuse feeling, I refuse to share my life, I fucking loathe the idea of sharing anything with a mere stranger" I spit out, venom lacing my tone.

"That does not change the truth, the Don needs to take a wife before he takes over, it is tradition, it is the rules. And we do not bend the rules." Father says in a final tone.

"Yeah? Whose going to replace me? Have I not practically run this Mafia for the past 3 years? What are you goin to-"

"Ares Xander Moretti! Respect your father and your Don!" My mother raises her voice making me shut up. She never raises her voice. I look at Father and release a breath at his angry expression but I can see disappointment lacing his eyes.

"Fine" I say. They are not going to drop this. Tradition means more to them then I do.

"Good, we are going to Consigliere Colombo's house tonight, his daughter is yet to be betrothed and your aunt seems to think she is quite the beauty. So I have already accepted her for you" he informs making me steam with anger. The disrespect.

I release an angry breath, exiting without responding. I don't care who it is, it's not like it would be a real marriage.

I hate the idea of a woman being dependent on me again. I can not take care of someone. I cannot be trusted.

"Im scared Ares" she whispers, gasping with the loss of blood.

"It will be okay El, Papa is coming soon" I say desperately trying to free my hands so I could help my baby sister. "El Ill even go flower picking with you I wont say no again just" I grunt frustratedly kicking my short legs.

"I love you Ares" she says, her pale lips trying to smile.

"I love you too El" I say as I watch her bright green eyes slowly become less shiny.

Motherfucker. I shake the memory away heading to the gym to blow off some steam.

ALANA

It's 7 pm and I'm sitting in the smaller common room in the East wing, reading.

I think the guests are here, but I cant be sure. Anyways, I dont really care, however Mrs. Fiore has asked me to change into something 'more presentable' 4 times now.

I didn't bother because I doubt they'd even know who I am. I've never stepped foot out of this house. They only take Katrina to the balls, I doubt the guests know I even exist.

I sigh, pushing away the thoughts about my depressing life and slipping into the fantasy world of these books.

I hear the door to the east wing slam shut and Katrina comes storming towards me.

"You fucking slut" She seethes making my eyes widen at her use of words.

I have no idea what I did but I am terrified. She can be so mean when she's angry like this and I never want to be at the receiving end. But somehow I always am.

"Katrina w-what" I sputter in surprise as she grips my arm, pulling me from my comfortable seat.

"You took my heels so I wouldnt look perfect for the Don didnt you, you pathetic-" She gets cut off by a made rushing inside and screeching,

"I found them Ms. Colombo they were hidden under your hair extensions Mam" she breathes heavily, her eyes wide with fear.

Katrina drops my arm and smiles at me menacingly.

"Don't think I don't know how jealous you are that you have to marry some random Associate in the mafia while I get the Don, but don't even think about sabotaging my wedding Alana, I swear I will break your bones!" she shouts before stomping out after pushing me to the floor.

I groan at the pain that shoots through me and will myself to not cry. I do not even care for ranks and titles. I just wish for some respect.