08

ALANA

I nervously put on the expensive looking diamond necklace with some help from the Donna as I thank her. Xander got very upset with me when I refused the Donna.

I will admit it was my fault, I handled that horribly and ended up being rude.

The necklace feels heavy and foreign on my exposed neck. The cold material makes me gasp lightly and goosebumps rise on my skin as I suck in a breath. I never noticed that my neck is sensitive. I do not recall ever owning a necklace, never mind wearing one.

I look up from trying to look at the necklace to see my future husband staring at me with a distant look, his green eyes darker in color

I look up from trying to look at the necklace to see my future husband staring at me with a distant look, his green eyes darker in color. I quickly look away, feeling heat rise to my cheeks.

"Well, I think I will have to get used to seeing two beautiful ladies in this room instead of one" I hear a loud, deep voice, similar to Xander's.

I don't know if I am allowed to call him Xander.

I immediately recognize the Don as he approaches his wife. I again, feel my face become hot with embarrassment as his words register.

"Sí, I think you will" The donna smiles brightly up at her husband. They look at eachother with such love and affection, it is a lovely thing to see.

"I see you got the gift Alessia was excited to give to you." The Don says, nodding at me. I smile at him. I cannot believe I am speaking with the Don and standing in the house of the Godfather. The very family and house I heard tales about growing up.

"You are very kind sir" I say bowing a little, in respect.

"Oh no, none of this please tesoro, you part of the famiglia now, it is not customary for you to address me as such." He says warmly. His tone catches me off guard, my nose stings in that familiar way confusing me.

Why are you going to cry?

"You should call me Papa, it is what a daughter calls her Father" he says, a sad edge gripping his words as his wife's hold visibly tightens on him. Their eyes read sadness making my heart hurt for them.

What am I missing?

"Well," The Donna breaks the silence with a forced cheery, but nervous laugh, "then you must call me Mama aswell, it is only fair" she nods making me smile at them.

"Right, well, I just want to say welcome to the family cara mia," he says. "I have something to ask you both, Figlio?" he says making Xander step up, beside me.

"Sí,"

"I am aware of the circumstances you are both under right now, getting married to strangers, essentially." he says, making me squirm uncomfortably. "However, I would appreciate if you were to," he sighs, maybe deciding over words.

"Act like you are in love, getting married out of love" Aaron finishes for him. My eyes widen and my future husband lets out a sound that was close to a laugh but not quite.

"Stai scherzando, cazzo" he spits making me flinch and play with my hands nervously.
(you're fucking kidding)

"Language Xander, you know the famiglia, they will have questions of how we chose your bride and we would rather not get into that, if you are to say and act as if it were a mutual relationship between you both, it will invite less questions" The Donna explains.

"And a woman who is known for being the Dons priority is feared, it is vital to Alana's security"

Xander breaths out angrily, muttering curses is italiano.

"I know it is alot to ask but will you please try dolcezza?" she looks at me with hopeful eyes. I cannot possibly say no, she is so nice it is not fair to deny her.

"I, ofcourse I will do what is necessary for the sake of the family" I recite the words I grew up hearing. A good wife keeps her husbands family happy.

I feel an intense glare on me, making me nervous to even look at Xander. So I don't.

"Oh thankyou darling, we are so happy God has blessed us with a wonderful daughter in law." she hugs me, taking me completely by surprise.

When was the last time I hugged somebody?

"Whatever, are we not late for this joke of an engagement?" Xander seethes, storming off.

"Ah ah, one more thing figlio, you must stay with your fiancé, all night. I do not want to happen to her what happened to me when I got engaged. My god they prey like vultures on an innocent looking face like hers" The Donna says, then with a final reassuring smile at me, she walks out arm in arm with the Don.

Their sons all follow suit, all but him.

"I appreciate your need to please my parents. I am however, not looking to be pleased. Follow my lead in there, I will direct you when needed, think of yourself as a piece of the puzzle I am missing to get where I need to. Just do not make up any stories or speak unless you absolutely need to, capirè?" he finishes, each word punctuated with more harshness than the first.

I just nod,  not making eye contact in the fear of angering him further. I made the mistake of hoping he would be like his brothers and even the Don.

I guess I am going to be just another burden to him like I always am.