50

ALANA

I wake up on my usual time, looking towards the bed to see Ares still sleeping. I quickly get up and walk into the closet to change.

I decide on wearing a short white dress and some flats. Today, mama will have some guests over for dinner so I will have to change later anyway. She has been excited about it for a while.

I go into the kitchen and see mama in there.

"Buon giorno." I greet.

"Buon giorno tesoro, I was just discussing the menu for tonight. Chef Armstead is sick so there is no one to make the ravioli, so we took that off the menu." mama says.

"Oh but I can make that!"

"Oh no no, I couldn't ask that." she says.

"No, I really would love to, I was going to take on some dishes anyway. You know I love to cook." I tell her.

"Are you sure?" She asks me.

"Yes, I am." I smile reassuringly.

"Will you come for breakfast today? Please darling I know you are upset with my son, but you can sit with me, and we wont talk to him." she asks hopefully. I smile at her.

"Okay." She smiles happily, and we continue chatting as we take some things over to the breakfast table.

When Ares enters the dining room, his eyes settle on me. I quickly look down at my plate. I want to avoid interaction. Looking at him makes a peculiar burning sensation go off in my chest. It's not fun.

Papa and the boys all talk about business while we eat, but then he adresses me and Ares.

"Figlio, we have some important things coming up in the months to come, I think it is best that you take Alana on your honeymoon now, while you still have time." He comments. I quickly look at Ares to see him already looking at me.

"Alana? Did you want to go on a honeymoon together?" He asks, his tone sounds condescending which makes me frown.

"I don't think that we should if you are busy right now. And papa, we can go later when you all are not busy."

"No theres nothing I can't handle here while you both take some time off darling. I have already made the arrangements for a 4 day trip to Paris for you both." he informs.

"Oh that sounds wonderful, you will love it there Alana, you know.."

As mama talks about wonderous Paris, all I can do is think about how uncomfortable it will be. Ares and I are on terms of not wanting to be together and here this turn of events is forcing us to do just that. Why does this always happen to me?

~

After breakfast, when I stand to excuse myself, Ares does too. He then grabs my hand and pulls me towards the stairs.

"What are you doing?" I ask in a panicked tone as he forces me to climb the stairs.

"Just taking my wife up to our room." he says casually and opens the door when we reach, and makes me stand infront of him as he starts talking. "Yesterday, everything you said was reasonable. I deserved alot more and I take responsibility for being an asshole to you. But I can't let what you described yesterday be your life." He says. I blink up at him. "This is your room now too, and you are not imposing. Our marriage was not your fault and I have never seen you as a burden for it." he says.

For a second, I think that he will fix our marriage. I think that he will say that he wants to try and make this work. I think he will give me a speech like in the books.