Chapter 50

Nothing much went on for the rest of the morning, you assumed it was going to be a lazy day. Which was fine with you. Hyde constantly was looking at his phone. Was he texting someone? "Everything okay?" you asked "You seem to be texting a lot" you told him. He put his phone down, "Just talking to Yukihiro. He thinks he might have been able to find something useful" he explained to you. That was good news! You perked up, "Really? What is it?" you wanted to know. "According to our manager's friend, there's this vampire novel at the library that supposingly is based on real facts. Nobody has confirmed it though, probably because it's fake. Just a rumor" Hyde told you. You understood that it seemed too shady to even check out. Besides there are hundreds of vampire novels at the library. Though each one could be different in multiple ways. It would be a genius way to sneak in actual lore though. "Well if he mentioned it, we should at least take a peek. I could read the book, since no one wants to. I don't mind" you offered to go rent the novel. If there was a chance, might as well give it a shot. "Perhaps you're right. I'll have Yukihiro text me the name and author and tell him we'll investigate" Hyde said.

The four of you met up with Yukihiro and Tetsuya at the city library. It's been a minute since you last stepped foot in here but you should be able to navigate with no issue. You looked up on the library computer for the location of the book. "No wonder why no one dares to read it, it's for young adults. Not very credible" Ken already seemed to be dismissing the legitimacy of the writing. You had to sort of agree, "Yea but wouldn't it be a perfect disguise? No one would really take the topic seriously no matter what genre it was published in" you said. "I guess you're right. But I don't think anyones takes vampires seriously, especially after f*cken Twilight. Making us look like a bunch of sparkling idiots" Ken growls, obviously hating vampire fictions. Lucky for him, he didn't have to read the novel you were searching for.

You wrote the book number on a piece of paper so you could remember. Walking to the appropriate section, you started looking for the book. Hyde was right beside you, helping you look. After a few minutes, you found it. You looked at the cover, reading the title "Memories of a Vampire". You weren't one to read romance novels like this, but you wouldn't say no in this situation. "I want to look at it", Hyde requested. You gave him the book and watched him flip through the pages as if he was a speed reader. Whatever he was expecting to find, wouldn't be by flipping pages so quickly. "If you want, I can read the book to you when we get home" you told him. Maybe he was curious about the story but didn't want to read. "Really, my angel? You don't mind" he said as if surprised you would offer to read it. It would make it more fun to read it alongside someone. You nodded, "Of course. Maybe the others would like to listen too" you smiled. It kind of felt like you were making some sort of book club, but surely it would be enjoyable.

Everyone regrouped and returned back to the apartment. "So you want us all to sit there and listen to a crappy romance novel?" Ken was talking to Yukihiro. "Babe you're not reading it, relax. So just try to listen" Yume had stepped in to convince Ken to take part. You didn't care if he stayed to listen or not, if reading wasn't his forte then he could just do something else while the rest of us read the book together. "I'm not exactly into romance novels either. But I want to see if this book has any truth to it" Yukihiro added. Lies or truth, you just hoped the story was interesting enough to keep reading. The whole group settled down in a spot in the living room. Hyde wanted you to sit on his lap, so he could look at the book with you. You didn't mind. He wrapped his arms around your waist and rested his head on your shoulder so he could see. Once everyone was quiet, you began to read the little note on the first page:

'They say vampires only exist only in the movies or on the page. What you're about to read, rings true. These are my memories. How I fell in love and how hard I fought to keep that love in my life. Death was not an option"

You paused for a second and became a little nervous. Maybe this could be true. "I wasn't expecting the book to be from the vampire" ,Tetsuya said out loud. You were thinking the same thing. Most of these novels were always the human meeting the vampire, not the other way around. You were intrigued even more so now. You continued to read:

"I recall first laying eyes on my love while at the mall with some friends. I had just received a new special pill, a vitamin you can say, that I can now take to allow me to go outside during the day. It wasn't perfect and I still had to cover most of my skin, but I felt a sense of normalcy now"

A pill? The band had to take a special pill to do the same thing. "When was this book written?" Hyde asked. Surely development of a pill like that had to take quite a long time to perfect. You looked for the publishing date, "It says 20XX. That's like over XX years ago" you told him. The book looked like it was recently published though. Odd. "Back when we first started, we didn't have a pill like we do now to rely on. I don't think it came out until much later. Interesting that the book would mention it" Yukihiro commented. That was one thing the book seemed to get right. You'd have to keep reading to see if there was anything else.

Skipping forward to the vampire's encounter with his love:

"Seeing her for the first time made my heart race. I felt drawn to her like a moth to a flame. She was irresistible and her beauty surpassed any other woman I've seen in all my years as a vampire"

You had to admire the way the author wrote so elegantly, it really was a romance novel and you like it a lot. Hyde did say he was drawn to you when you first met, certainly he felt the same as the author. "Sound familiar, my koala bear?" you asked him to get his opinion. "Very. I couldn't have said it better myself" he told you, giving you a little squeeze around your waist.