Varying Victories

Kid Ritz: *AND NOW, VELVET AND VENEER... HAVE ROLLED IN 10,000 AND..."

Kid Ritz holds for dramatic effect, yet it nearly kills me. My breath hitches, the roof completely silent. Dom breaks eye contact first, looking at Kid Ritz.

Kid Ritz: *500! VELVET AND VENEER HAVE BEEN VOTED FOR 10,500 VOTES, WINNING BY ONE VOTE!!!*

Green and purple confetti and glitter shoot onto the stage and crowd, symbolizing our win. Velv screams, jumping up and down. I'm in utter shock; WE WON!

I swing Velv around in another hug, crying happily. We jump up and down with the crowd, matching their excitement. Dom and his brothers look furious. He steps towards me, looking like he wants to punch me before remembering he's on stage.

He holds his hand out for me to shake it. I'm afraid to touch him, scared of what it could do to me. If I don't shake his hand, I'll look stuck up and pretentious. If I do shake his hand... it could mean life-altering consequences.

With a shaky hand, I clasp my hand onto his. In a split second, something inside of me shifts. Dom smirks, shaking my hand before leading his brothers off stage. I watch after him with a burning feeling that I can't explain; something has changed... I just can't tell what. It's like the energy I've been feeling pent up inside of me since our date has multiplied. 

Maybe it's just the excitement over me winning. I push my newfound jitters aside the best I can as Kid Ritz walks up to Velv and me, hugging us each. Out of instinct, I move in to kiss him, yet stop myself just in time. I save it by blowing a kiss to the audience, pulling away from Kid Ritz to make it look like that was my plan all along.

Kid Ritz: *CONGRATULATIONS VELVET AND VENEER! YOU TWO HAVE WON THE FOURTH MOUNT RAGEOUS STARZ EVENT SHOW AND WILL BE GOING ON TO PERFORM AT THE RAGE DOME!!!*

The crowd cheers and screams for us as I pull Velv in close, excited an understatement.

Kid Ritz: *NOW, WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO TELL THE VIEWERS AT HOME, AND OUR LOVELY CROWD HERE AT THE "HOTEL INDIGO"?

Kid Ritz hands the mic to Velv, who's got glitter tears streaming down her cheeks.

Velv: "Hi everyone! Thank you all SO much for voting for us and making this happen! Veneer and I couldn't be more thankful! We love you all!"

I decide what I want to say as Velv hands me the mic.

Ven: "Mount Rageous, Mount Rageons, and Mount Rageous Starz Management... thank you! We are so lucky to have gotten this far, and without you all supporting us every step of the way, we wouldn't be as far as we are now. We would like to thank VRADA for sponsoring our looks tonight, as well as "Frazzled Fred's Fun", the best costume shop in Mount Rageous. Velv and I have gone through a lot, but it was all worth it to be here with you all tonight. Thank you, we love you!"

Kid Ritz smiles at me proudly, taking the mic back. More confetti shoots out as the show ends, Kid Ritz closing out.

Kid Ritz: *YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST FOLKS! VELVET AND VENEER... OUR WINNERS OF THE FOURTH MOUNT RAGEOUS STARZ EVENT. I'M YOUR HOST, KID RITZ, AND WE WILL SEE YOU AT THE FIFTH AND FINAL SHOW, LIVE AT THE RAGE DOME!!!*

Velv and I jump around, dancing and celebrating excitedly. We wave to our fans, blowing kisses as we walk off stage. The stagehands and crew cheer for us backstage, congratulating us the whole way back to the waiting room.

Unfortunately, there is a surprise waiting for us. Velv's purse is tossed on the couch, Floyd's bottle thrown out. Quesadilla lays face down on the floor, the note from Kid Ritz ripped in pieces. The box of candies has been spilled open... with Floyd gone.