23. First Glance

Not one, not two, not three, but hundreds of serpent heads rose one by one in front of Devashree. 

A huge tide of Yamuna parted, revealing a majestic and larger serpent head. But it was not the jewel encrusted serpent head that caught her attention. 

It was the one who stood above it that stole her breath away.

And It was then that the supreme mother of the universe, Mahalakshmi, in the form of Devashree, stole her first glance at the supreme lord of the universe, Mahavishnu, in the form of Krishna.

Her heart became still for the moment as she stood gazing at her Manmohana.

In the centre of the lashing waves of the Yamuna was her Shyam, dancing with a  grace on the hoods of the serpent. 

The waters of the river churned violently around the serpent, but there Shyam was, calm and composed, his movements fluid and purposeful.

Suddenly, fear gripped her heart as she saw that he was being clutched tightly in the coils of the serpent.

 She could not move. 

The waves  held her tightly, as if holding her in a mother's embrace, refusing to let go. But her eyes, mirrored the storm within.

The hood of the serpent raised menacingly with malice and lashed towards Shyam. Each lash of its tail and each strike aimed at him sent shivers down her spine,igniting a primal fear of loss and separation.

But then her Shyam raised himself to land upon the hood of the largest head. 

Devashree watched in shocked awe and admiration as he commenced his dance upon the serpent, whose venom had cursed the river's soul to darkness. 

She stared, as did every leaf and every breeze who was a spectator, enthralled by the unfolding drama.

Clad in the colors of the morning sun-his garments fluttering like banners of the wind, his dark locks adorned with a peacock feather dancing to the rhythm of creation-her Manmohana was a vision of sublime beauty, an anchor in the tempest of the serpent's rage.

With every step, every leap, and every turn, his feet beat upon the hoods of the serpent.The ghungroos at his ankles sang the song of victory, a melody that wove through the elements, commanding the goddess herself to forget everything but him.

Around them, the river Yamuna, once choked with poison, began to mirror the heavens, its waters turning clear as if washed with the light of stars.

And there, in the heart of this ballet, Devashree watched as he danced with the weight of worlds in his steps, yet light as a feather on the wind. His eyes, deep and fathomless, sparkled with the joy of creation, their gaze encompassing the cycle of life, death, and rebirth.

In his smile, there was no fear, but a promise of redemption for the fallen, of love's eternal triumph over darkness.

As the dance reached its crescendo, the serpent beneath him, surrendered, its heads bowing in reverence to the might of her Shyam.

As Devashree watched, she realised that in his dance, there was not just the promise of victory but a revelation. 

With every step, every movement that countered the serpent's fury, he was not just subduing a serpent; he was reaffirming the sanctity of life, the triumph of good over evil, of love over fear.This realization dawned upon her like the first rays of the sun piercing the night's darkness, dispelling the shadows of doubt that had crept into her heart. 

Her unknown love for him, intertwined with her fear, transformed into a beacon of unwavering faith.

And so, as he dominated the mighty serpent,her heart, too, underwent a metamorphosis.