68. Into the Wilderness

As the first light of dawn filtered through the window, Krishna stirred on the couch, his body instinctively seeking comfort.

He blinked his eyes open, adjusting to the light, and immediately became aware of the warmth pressed against his back. A gentle smile spread across his lips as he felt Devashree's arm draped over him, her hand resting softly on his chest.

He turned his head slightly, catching sight of her serene face nestled close to his shoulder. Her dark hair fanned out like a halo, and her breath came in gentle, rhythmic puffs against his skin.

He couldn't help but smile, a sense of deep contentment settling over him. Despite her stern exterior and firm resolve last night, she had been unable to stay away.

Ha! His drama always worked...he grinned to himself.

With the gentlest touch, Krishna brushed a stray lock of hair from her face, his fingers lingering on her cheek for a moment. She stirred slightly, her eyelashes fluttering as she slowly woke up. Her eyes, still heavy with sleep, met his, and she smiled softly, the corners of her lips curling up in a way that made his heart skip a beat.

Devashree yawned, stretching slightly, and then tightened her embrace around him. "Good morning, Swami," she replied, her voice husky with sleep. She snuggled closer to him, burying her face in the crook of his neck.

"Shree," he whispered "My stubborn, loving wife." Krishna murmured softly, his voice tinged with a teasing note. "Couldn't stay away from me, could you?"

Devashree's cheeks flushed a soft pink, and she let out a small, exasperated sigh. "Don't get too full of yourself, Swami," she replied, her voice still heavy with sleep. "I just didn't want you to catch a cold. Did you sleep well?""

Krishna chuckled softly, his hand gently stroking her hair. "As well as one can on a couch," he said, a playful glint in his eyes. "Though, I must admit, it was much more comfortable with you by my side."

"Hmm," Devashree hummed, and looked up at him, her eyes still drowsy.

Krishna turned fully to face her, their noses almost touching. "It seems my dramatic performance worked after all," he teased, his eyes sparkling with mischief. "You couldn't resist my plight."

Devashree rolled her eyes playfully, though her smile remained. " I just couldn't punish you for something I absolutely love about you."

Krishna raised an eyebrow, a playful smirk tugging at his lips. "And what might that be, Hridaye?"

Devashree shifted slightly, propping herself up on one elbow to look at him more directly. "Your mischief, your charm, the way you always manage to make me smile even when I'm upset with you," she admitted, her tone filled with warmth. "It's infuriating, but it's also one of the things I love most about you."

Krishna's smile widened, his heart swelling with love. "So, you're saying you actually enjoy my antics?" he teased, a glint of mischief in his eyes.

Devashree rolled her eyes playfully, though she couldn't suppress her smile. "Don't get too full of yourself, Swami," she warned lightly. "I may love your antics, but that doesn't mean you can get away with everything."

Krishna laughed softly, the sound rich and melodious. "I'll keep that in mind, Priye," he promised, his voice tender.

Just then, Devashree's smile faded slightly as a familiar wave of nausea began to rise.

She tried to mask her discomfort, not wanting to worry Krishna, but the sensation was becoming too overwhelming to ignore.

"Krishna..." she murmured, her voice strained.