86. A Heart In Ruins

"Dwarikadhish Shri Krishna, it would be an immense honor for our family if you would consider taking my daughter, Rajkumari Tamasvi, as your wife. She is beautiful, talented, and comes from a lineage worthy of your esteemed status....

.....Would you honour us by accepting her as your second wife?"

Tamasvi stood behind the pillar, her heart pounding with anticipation.

This was it-the moment she had been dreaming of. She clutched the edge of the pillar, her nails digging into the wood, waiting for his response.

"Maharaj Vikram, I am honoured and I-"

"Shri Krishna, Panditji is calling you for the Garbha Sanskaar Yagya," Dharmendra announced as he entered the hall. "The muhurat is slipping away."

Tamasvi felt a pang of frustration. Why now, of all times?

"Give me a few moments, Bhrata," Krishna replied calmly. "I will be there."

Krishna turned back towards Maharaj Vikram, but before he could speak, Tamasvi's father raised a hand with a gracious smile.

"It's okay, Dwarikadhish," Maharaj Vikram said. "I will gladly wait for your response. After all, it is a matter of great importance-one that concerns the alliance between our families. Please, attend to your duties, and give me your answer after you have had time to think on it."

Tamasvi's heart sank, the tension within her building to an almost unbearable level. The moment she had waited for was slipping away.

She wanted to scream, to demand that Shri Krishna answer now, before any more interruptions could occur. But she knew better. She forced herself to remain still.

The delay was agonizing. She had been so close to hearing Krishna's answer. Her fate hung in the balance, and all she could do was wait.

*******

Krishna made his way where the Yagya was arranged. Mata Devaki had been adamant that they do this.

In the center, Devashree sat on a small stool. Her presence was etheral with all the flowers adorned by her. Krishna was mesmerised. The flowers looked more beautiful on her than they did on their own.

Her eyes met his and a brilliant smile spread across her face. It illuminated the entire room, just as it did his life everyday.

His heart thudded wildly in his chest as he took in the smile reserved only for him. Without hesitation, he moved to sit beside her, his hand instinctively reaching out to take hers.

"What are you doing, Swami? Everybody is watching." Devashree glanced around nervously and hissed.

Krishna chuckled softly. "Let them," he said, his voice low and soothing. "If anybody objects, just remind them that I am your lawfully wedded husband."

Devashree rolled her eyes, but a smile tugged at the corners of her lips despite her mild embarrassment.

With a final squeeze of her hand, Krishna released it, allowing her to fold her hands respectfully in front of her chest as the ceremony began.

"This Yagya is performed for the well-being and protection of the child in the womb, as well as for the health and happiness of the mother." Panditji bagan the Yagya.

The Ganesh Stotra began, invoking the blessings of Lord Ganesha for the success of the ceremony and proceeded further.

Everyone had joined their hands and was doing the same.

Only Tamasvi's eyes were locked on Krishna and Devashree.

The sight of Krishna's hand in Devashree's was a bitter pill to swallow, and she felt a surge of envy and scorn.