26. Trouble in Paradise

It was so bizarre. 

Earlier, who had been the reason for her peaceful slumber now has become the reason for her sleepless nights. 

It had been two weeks of pure bliss for Devashree. 

Meeting and spending time with Krishna has been a daily affair now, which she looked forward to every evening. The innocent laughter and playful demeanor of Krishna always brought a smile to her face.

But she was not naive. 

She was not unaware of her blossoming feelings for a certain someone.

This feelings, so sudden and all-encompassing, has ignited a flame within her, casting light on corners of her heart she never knew existed. She understood where they were headed, but all her feelings were so confusing.

So in the quiet hours of midnight, under the amber hues of the lamp in her small hut, she decided to pen down a letter to her brother.

Priya Bhratashree,

Pranipat! I know I sent you a letter just yesterday, but I need your counsel right now.

This cannot wait! This is a very urgent, very grave, and very important matter. 

Before you start sending a battalion of soldiers after me, hear me out. Its not a matter of strategic importance but a very very delicate matter.

It is about my heart, Bharatashree. 

This beating flesh in my chest is being pulled, Bhrata. You understand what I'm saying, don't you? And no, I am not having a heart attack!

I know you exchanged several letters with the Princess of Pundra. 

No. Don't ask me how I know. 

Now, do you understand me? I thought you must have some experience with these things, which is why I am writing to you, not as a sister but as a friend and close confidant.

I told you about Krishna, didn't I?

I love spending time with him. In him, I have discovered a friend, a kindred spirit,a source of laughter in times of sorrow, and a pillar of strength in moments of weakness. His virtues shine forth with the brilliance of a thousand suns, illuminating the depths of my heart and awakening within me feelings I scarcely understand.

Do I need to say more? You must be laughing at me, Bhrata, I know you are! Now stop laughing and guide me.

How do I handle this delicate terrain without dishonoring our family or betraying the trust you have placed in me? It is in search of answers to these questions that I turn to you, Bhratashree, my mentor, my guiding light.

Your wisdom has always been my compass in times of uncertainty, and your counsel my sanctuary in moments of turmoil. I request,then, to lend me your guidance once more. How should I proceed in the face of this unexpected and overwhelming emotion? How do I honor the feelings that have taken hold of my heart without losing sight of the duties that define who I am?

Respond quickly and send it with the fastest eagle you have. 

And don't you dare blabber about this to anyone. Otherwise, I will tell Pitashree all about your love escapades.

With all the love in my heart,

Your Surabhi,

Kripalini Devashree