Ch-82

Rimuru's POV

Once we were inside the car, Arun, who was sitting in front of us some to us without turning to look towards us.

"To tell you the truth, we weren't expecting you guys, so we didn't get the permission, or else we would have gone straight to the headquarters."

"Permission?"

"Yeah. Flying planes or helicopters over a large city like this requires permission, especially if the city is the capital of the country."

I look through the window.

'The city has tall buildings, but the development was rather low. I guess I can't really say, since I don't how advanced technology in this world is, but shouldn't India be one of the most technologically advanced country right now? Or is it that the survey team that was sent into the portal didn't return?' I ask Ciel via soul corridor.

'Dear, did you forget? There is no portal in this world. Instead, there are towers.'

'Right. I completely forgot about that. Since there are towers, many things should change."

"So? What's the condition of Europe?" I ask. It should fall quite soon, of we follow the path that history took in my world, that is.

"Europe, huh?" Chandra smirked at the question, and Arun had a big mischievous smile as well.

"UK is now under India and China. It is a colony now." Arun said with a smile.
"Hah! Serves them right. Just look how we completely ruin UK. We'll finally give them a taste of their own medicine." Chandra added.

UK? A colony? Just how far have we deviated from the original history?

"By the way, what date is it?" I ask.

"5th of June, 2038." Arun replied.

2038? If I am not wrong, 14th November in this year was called the year of hope as the investigation teams sent by China and Japan had returned. But since there are no wormholes here in this world, there's no doubt that such a will not happen.

But I don't ever remember the being a grudge between India and UK. Rather, they were very close allies, especially after 2043 when they had started working together.

"Rimuru, look. They are playing something interesting." Chloe said as she pointed to a group of children who were playing with a small cricket ball and a few rocks.

Chloe was happily looking around in all the direction.

"This misery be your first time in this world, right?" Arun asked.

"Yeah." I replied.

"If that's so, keep your eyes open. Many people might try to scam you, seeing that you are not natives."

"You don't need to worry about us."

"You? I am worrying about the people who will try to scam you." Arun replied with a laugh.

As I looked outside, the wind was blowing and the Sun was shining menacingly. The dust was blowing in the air and apart from the few children playing here and there, no one could be seen in the scorching heat.

"Is it always like this?" I ask.
"This hot? Yeah. It's the peak of the summer. Maybe a week or two more of this. After that the rains arrive and we get some well deserved relief from this heat." Chandra replied.

For the rest of the trip, we didn't exchange any words. We just waited silently to reach our destination. Just before reaching our destination, I noticed that the locality changed suddenly and impressively.

The buildings built were a pinnacle of structural integrity and were built majorly of stone.

As we exited the car and entered the building which seemed to be the place where we are meeting, all the people who we meet smiled at the duo leading us. Some boys even high fived Arun and Chandra. Seeing the looks of evryone, there was a postive relationship between everyone here.

The building was a sharp contrast to its surroundings. Unlike the buildings around it, which embraced historical style of architecture, this building was built by much advanced technology. Built with enhanced steel and cement, it clearly looked out of place.

"So this place is?" I ask.

"Headquarters of Tower Investigation and Defence Committee." Chandra responded as she guided us to a room.

"This is a meeting room we use. Just wait for a sec. I'll go and freshen up a bit." Chandra said as she left us in the room with Arun.

Arun looked at us and sighed.

"As much as I want to discuss regarding what to do, let's wait for Chandra." Arun said.

I understand his thoughts. Even I would prefer to wait if Ciel was not present.

"So, why don't you tell me what exactly happened between UK and India?" I ask Arun.

"Do you really not know?" Arun asked shocked.

"Well, seeing how you knew a lot about this world, for someone who doesn't belong to this world, I was sure that you would have known about this.

Anyways, the British had managed to literally take over the world. Majority of the world was under their control. They took important resources from all over the world to improve the conditions of their home nation, which was already prospering. All the territories under them, which they called colonies, were majorly ignored.

India, which was the one of the world's wealthiest nation before becoming British colony, became one of the worst living places in the world after they left.

No matter how much people say that it was in the past, there's no way we can let them go, just like that." Arun said in a completely serious tone.

"... I see." I didn't comment any further. Well, the truth is that I never focused on history before the Era of Chaos and the wormholes popped up, so I have no clue whether this actually happened or not.

"Most people have forgotten about it, but we just can't. Even now, they don't dare return everything they took from us." Arun said.

"Why? Shouldn't they return it now? Especially when you were on friendly relations."

"Why?! That's a nice joke. If they try to repay us, they'll go bankrupt before they even repay of half of what they owe us. And that's only what they owe India. They owe nearly the same amount to China, Africa and many other nations." Arun said while laughing, but his expressions weren't.

Chandra then walked in. She had changed her clothes to a more causual t-shirt and jeans.

"Sorry for the wait. Let's continue." Chandra said as she entered the room.

"Yes. Let's begin. Our time is also limited." Ciel said.

"Yes. So let's begin with this." Chandra said as she took out an electric tablet. A hologram came out, showing us photos of what seemed to be an ancient structure.

"This was the wall of the ruins that we found in the tower in China." Chandra said as she zoomed onto drawings engraved into the walls.

The walls showed drawings of what seemed to be a city. As they moved forward in the video. The pictures changed quickly showing a large structure, similar to the tower popping out of nowhere. In the next picture, some odd creatures were made, destroying the city.

"Don't tell me that this is-"
"An ancient civilization. Another civilization which fell to ruin due to this tower." Chandra completed the sentence.

———————

I hope you guys like it. I am back to the normal uploading schedule now. Thanks for understanding.