Chapter 15

"For the hundredth time grandma, I'm not going to date the guy just cause he's good looking."
My grandmother has been getting on my nerves about Chris ever since we left the beach.
"I'm just saying, Arie. He seems like a nice a guy. You should at least have one date with him."
I roll my eyes. "How do you know he's nice? All he said was hi."
"I know, but I can tell he really likes you and I can tell you like him too."
I furrowed my eyebrows. "I don't like him in that way."
"Need I remind you about the dream you had about him?"
I shrug. "So? Chris and I are just friends and it's going to stay that way. Now, could you please drop it?"
The rest of the ride home was silent. We pull up in front of the house and I go inside, immediately running myself a bath. Once the tub is filled, especially with my favorite bubble bath, I strip out of my dress and bathing suit, step inside the tub, and sink into the water.
"Ahh." I said, closing my eyes.
As the warm water relaxes my muscles, I start thinking about Chris. Maybe, my grandmother is right. Maybe, I should give Chris a chance and go out on one date with him, but I'm worried. What if Chris gets the wrong idea? What if he thinks it would be something long term? I mean, he obviously has a crush on me and I don't want him to think that I'm ready for a relationship. I don't want him to think I'm playing games like Michael did. I shake my head. Chris is nothing like Michael. He wouldn't break my heart like Michael did. You know what? I'm going to ask Chris out on a date the next time I see him. It's time to move on. I finish getting myself cleaned up and the phone rings. I walk out the bathroom with a towel wrapped around me. I go to answer the phone, but my grandmother already answered it. I dry off and put my pajamas on. I sit and watch TV until dinner. Once dinner is ready, we say grace and eat in silence. After dinner, I help grandma wash and dry the dishes, we say goodnight, and head off to bed. The next day at work, I don't see Chris at all and it was like that for the past 2 weeks.
"Richard, have you seen Chris?"
"Nope. I haven't even seen him at work, which is very unusual."
"Yeah. I'm worried about him. Do you happen to have his number or his address?"
"No, but I can find out from work."
"Thanks."
"No problem...Oh, hey how's the baby?"
"Fine. I went to the doctor last week and she said the baby and I are both healthy."
"What about the sex of the baby?"
"I'll find that out in 2 months."
He nods. He finishes off his drink, pays, and leaves. The following day, Richard gives me Chris' address and since I get off at 6 today, I'm stopping past there. I clock out once my shift ends and pull out the piece of paper with Chris' address on it. I pull in front of his apartment building. I go up the front stairs and walk through the wooden door. I go up to apartment 4 and knock on the door. The door opens and there's a red headed woman with an oversized, clearly a man's shirt, on.
"Oh, I'm sorry. I must have the wrong address. I was looking for Chris."
"He's here." She says. "Chris, someone's at the door for you!" She calls.
Chris then comes from the back room shirtless with black slacks on. His eyes widen once he sees it's me, then that beautiful smile appears.
"Giselle." He says, pulling me in for a hug. He pulls away. "What are you doing here?"
"I, uh, was in the neighborhood-"
"Lie." He says, chuckling.
Ok, he got me there. Am I really that bad of a liar? I let out a breath. "Ok. I came to check on you."
He smirked and it reminded me of that asshole.

"Well, come on in."
I walk inside, checking out his place. "You have a nice apartment."
"Thanks. Have a seat."
I sit down on the black sway couch. We sit in awkward silence.
"So, now I see why you haven't been around." I said, breaking the silence.
He blushed. "Oh, yeah. That's my girlfriend, Renae."
"That's not the same girlfriend that-"
"Yeah. It is."
I nod. He's being foolish. All that girl's going to do is break his heart again. Wait...am I jealous?
"How have you been?"
"Good."
"I see you're showing. How's the baby?"
"Healthy."
Renae then walks out. "Baby, I'm going to go. I'll see you later."
"Ok, babe, but before you go I want you to meet someone. Renae, this is my friend Giselle. Giselle, this is my girlfriend Renae."
"Hi."
"Hello."
"I'll see ya, Chris."
She kisses his lips and turns to me. "It was nice meeting you."
"You too."
She leaves the apartment. Chris sits in the chair across from me and we sit in silence.
"Can I get you anything?" He asked, breaking the silence.
"No, I'm ok."
"Well since you're here, do you want to see my painting?"
I smile. "Yeah, sure. I would love to."
"Alright, you stay put." Chris said, standing up. "I'll be right back."
I nod. He walks in the back room. Almost an hour later, he comes out with a canvas in his hand and fresh clothes on.
"I hope you don't mind, but I had to take a shower."
"No. Not at all."
He sits next to me. The smell of cinnamon invades my nostrils.
He sits the canvas on his thigh. "This is my prize procession. It's not finished yet, but it's my favorite. I call it 'Smile'."
"I can see why. It's beautiful."
"Thanks."
I stare at the beautiful flowers and all the colors, but as my eyes adjust I see a woman's face. She looks...happy, but sad. She's smiling, but her eyes tell a different story. There's hurt behind those eyes. Chris sits the canvas down on the floor beside him.
"I have another one, but I don't want to unveil it yet."
"That's ok. From what I've seen from that painting, I can tell you have true talent."
He blushed. "Thanks."
"You're welcome."
We stare into each other's eyes and I can feel myself getting lost in his just like Mi-
I clear my throat. "Can I have some water, Chris?"
"Of course."

He gets up, going into the kitchen. He comes back a couple seconds later.
"Here you go." He said, handing me the water.
I take a sip and sit the glass on the coaster. I feel Chris staring at the side of my head.
I turn to him, giving a small smile. "You're staring, Chris."
He looked away, shyly. "Sorry."
"It's ok, but you look like you have something to say."
He takes a deep breath. "I...never mind. It's silly."
I place my hand on his. "I doubt it. You can tell me, anything. Now, what is it?"
"I feel I've...made a mistake."
I furrowed my eyebrows. "Ok. What mistake?"
"I really don't want to be with Renae. I shouldn't have taken her back."
My face might've shown shock, but deep down I was smiling on the inside. I finally have a chance to go out with him.
"Really? Why?"
"She's not the woman I want to be with."
"So, who's the woman you want to be with then?"
He stares intensely into my eyes. "You." He simply says.
"W-What?"
"Yeah. I-I like you, Giselle. A lot. I've been feeling this way since I first met you."
"I don't know what to say."
"Say you'll go out with me. Next weekend."
I did come here to not only check on him, but to ask him out. I guess he beat me to it.
"Sure."
His eyes widen. "Are you serious?"
I giggle. "Yes, I'm serious."
"O-ok. How does Friday night at 8 sound?"
"Perfect."
About 30 minutes later, I was ready to leave. I gave Chris my number and address before leaving. I was back on the road heading home. I couldn't wipe the stupid smile off my face. Nothing can break my happiness, right now.
I walk inside the house. "Grandma! I'm home!"
I see grandma walk out the kitchen with a worried expression on her face and she immediately embraces me.
"Oh, thank God." She whispers.
I pull away, furrowing my eyebrows. "Grandma, what's wrong?"
"I-I thought something had happened to you. I-I didn't get a call or nothing."
"I'm so sorry, grandma. After work, I went to go see my friend Chris. I was worried about him. I hadn't seen him in 2 weeks." I wipe the tear from her cheek that had fallen. "I should've let you know, grandma. Again, I'm sorry."
She sniffled. "I accept your apology. Just next time give a call. Let me know something."
"I will."
"Now, come on in the kitchen. Have you eaten anything?"
"No. I haven't even thought about it."
"Well, let's go feed that baby."
She warms up my plate and grandma being grandma she asked a ton of questions about my visit at Chris'. I answered her questions and told her about our set date next week.
"Oooo Arie, this is exciting. Is he going to be my new grandson-in-law?"
I shake my head, laughing. "Only you, grandma. Only you."