Chapter 52

For almost an hour, I've been staring up at the ceiling. I can never go straight to sleep like everyone else. It takes me awhile. I get up, leave my room, and go downstairs to my office. Maybe if I do some work, I'll be able to get some sleep. 2 hours of signing and filing papers later and I feel myself getting tired. I get up from the leather chair, turn off the light, and leave my office. As I'm heading down the hallway, I see the light coming from the kitchen. I furrow my eyebrows and open the kitchen door. I see Jessica sitting at the island, drinking some juice.
"Couldn't sleep either, huh?" I asked, walking further into the kitchen. She places her hand on her chest. "Sorry for scaring you."
"It's alright. And to answer your question, yes I couldn't sleep."
I nod and go in the fridge grabbing a juice bottle, as well. I twist off the cap and drink it. I feel Jessica's eyes on me, so I look over at her and she quickly looks away. I take the juice bottle from my lips, letting out a chuckle.
"Looks like it stopped raining." She says, getting up, going over to the window.
"Mhm."
Now is my turn to check her out and I'm liking what I'm seeing, but I know I can't go there.
"You know I can see your reflection in the window, right?"
"And?" I shrug.
She giggles. "That's one thing I definitely missed." She says, turning around to me.
"What's that?"
"The bluntness."
I smirk. "You flirting with me?"
Her eyes widen. "No, I-"
"Relax, Jessica. I was playing." She lets out a breath. "Why are you so edgy? Loosen up. We're not strangers, you know."
"I know. It's just I don't want it to seem like I'm coming on to you when you made it clear you're not doing relationships at the moment and that we're only friends."
"That doesn't mean you have to walk on eggshells around me. Though it is cute seeing you this way."
"Shut up." She says, giggling.
I laugh along. Once our laughter dies down, there's this awkward silence. However, you can feel the tension. Sexual tension that is. Maybe that explains why I did what I did next. I sit my juice on the island and walk the foot that separated us. I stare into her eyes, put my hands on her hips, and place my lips on hers. She responds back, placing her hands on my chest.
As we're getting into it, I pull away. "Shit." I say, removing my hands from her hips. "I shouldn't have done that."

"It's ok. I'm glad you did it." She says, running her hands up my chest and shoulders, wrapping her arms around my neck. "Definitely disappointed that you stopped."
Her lips are about 2 inches from mine and I take the opportunity to kiss her again, but more anxious. I place my hands under her ass cheeks, picking her up. She wraps her legs around my waist and we reconnect our lips. I walk out of kitchen, up the stairs, and into my bedroom. I close the door with my foot and lay her down on the bed. I waste no time stripping her down to her bra and panties. I start kissing on her neck as I unhook her bra, exposing her full breasts and erect nipples. I trail my kisses down to her left nipple and clasp my lips around it. She moans, putting her fingers in my hair. I give her nipple a few sucks before doing the same to her right nipple. I kiss my way down to her navel, sucking on that, as well.
"M-Michael." She moans out. I hook my fingers in her panties about to pull them down. "W-Wait." Jessica says, grabbing ahold of my hands.
"What?"
"We shouldn't." She says, sitting up, covering her breasts. I stand to my feet. "We're supposed to be friends and friends don't sleep with friends."
"Some do. It's called friends with benefits."
"But if I sleep with you, that's not what I want to be. And I don't want to regret this." I sigh knowing that she's right. She stands up from the bed. "Are you mad?"
"Not at all. This is happening too soon."
She nods and puts her clothes back on. We say goodnight and Jessica leaves. I get into bed and once I get comfortable enough, I close my eyes, drifting to sleep. The next morning, I hear knocking on my front door. I open my eyes and look over at the clock on my nightstand. 9:30. The knocking continues and I throw back my covers and leave my room. Jessica comes out of her room, as well.
"I got it." I go downstairs, unlock the door, and open it. I scoff. "What you want?"
"Michael, I didn't come here to argue. I came here to talk."
"I don't want to hear it."
I go to close the door, but she stops it with her hand. "Michael, please hear me out."
"Why should I? We didn't do enough talking when you fucked me, then dumped me?"
"Fair enough. But I think you would like to hear this."
I stare at her and usually those gray eyes would be pulling me in, but not this time. However, if I hear what she has to say, then she would go on about her business.
I fold my arms. "You have 1 minute."

"Can I come in?"
"Nope. And your time is wasting away so get to talking."
She looks down playing with her fingers. "You were right." She mumbles.
"Excuse me." I say, cupping the back of my ear. "It sounded like you said I was right."
She sighs. "I did."
"And what was I right about?" I asked, crossing my arms, again.
"Me." She says, making eye contact. "I was wrong for leading you on. That was childish. But my feelings for you were real, Michael. I do love you. I do want you. And although you have your questionable moments, you're everything those other men I dealt with weren't. If you take me back, I promise to be more upfront with you. All that playing around is done with." I stare at her before laughing. She can't be serious, can she? "Why are you laughing?"
"Because this has to be some sort of joke. I'm supposed to believe you're a changed woman after a day? Let's be real, Giselle, you haven't changed. You're just saying that so I'll take you back."
"Of course I want you to take me back, but-"
"But nothing. Now, your little speech was nice and all, but there's not a chance in hell that we're getting back together. I would be stupid to give you another chance after the shit you pulled."
I can see the tears welling in her eyes, but I don't give a damn.
"Not even after I admitted I was wrong?"
"And I'm supposed to forget everything because of that? Not this time, Giselle. You're not getting anymore chances just so you can pussyfoot around with me. It's over."
She shakes her head. "I can't believe you're being this cruel to me."
I laugh again, but in disbelief. "You're seriously playing victim with me? You don't get to do that. You ruined us, so stop with the fake hurt."
"I just poured my heart out to you and you're calling it fake?"
"That's right."
"Then I guess you're fake too because you were just at my place 2 days ago doing the same-"
"Michael, I'm about to go..." Jessica trails off once she sees Giselle. They're staring each other down and there's tension in the air. Jessica clears her throat. "Hello, Giselle. How have you been?" Giselle doesn't respond, but her face says it all. "Ok." Jessica says, dragging out the k. "Anyway, thanks for letting me stay, Michael. I appreciate it."
"No problem. And be safe."
"I will. Bye Giselle."

Jessica walks away and Giselle folds her arms, watching her. She then looks back at me.
"So this is what you do?" I raise an eyebrow. "She dumps your ass, you run back to me? I dump your ass, you run back to her?"
"Actually, she ran back to me like you're doing now. But unlike you, she never played with my feelings and she was always upfront about how she was feeling."
"Did you fuck her?"
"That's none of your business. And it looks like your 1 minute is up. Have a nice day, Giselle, and I hope you deal with whatever you have to and grow up in the process. Goodbye."
I close the door in her face. Harsh, I know, but it's not like she doesn't deserve it. I go upstairs to my bedroom and I see a piece of paper on my bed. I pick it up and it reads:
                                     Michael,
                                                            (213) 135 - 7924, do you remember? If not, it's my number.
                                                                                                                                                                           - Jessica
                                  P.S. No, I'm not flirting, so you can stop smirking.

I sit on my bed, pick up the phone, and dial Jessica's number.
"Hello?" She answers after the second ring.
"You know when you tell someone you're not flirting it usually means you're flirting."
"Somehow I knew you'd find a way to tease me about that."
I give a small chuckle, then there's silence. I look around my room trying to find something else to say.
"About Giselle, I-"
"You don't have to explain anything to me."
"I know, but I can tell it was awkward."
"It was, that's why I tried to be cordial."
"And I thank you for that."
There's silence again and Jessica breaks it this time. "So is she the reason you've put off relationships?"
"Unfortunately. That's why I've officially cut her out of my life."
"You say that, Michael, but do you mean it?"
"Of course I do, why would you ask that?"
"Because someway, somehow Giselle always wiggles her way back into your life."
"Well, she can wiggle all she wants, she ain't getting back in. And I made that clear to her, now I'm making it clear to you. She's old news now."
"I hope so."