Chapter 39

There's no words to describe last night. The aggression mixed with passion was overwhelming. And somehow I'm in the bed and don't remember us ever getting in it. I get from under the covers, yawning before getting up from the bed. I see Michael's shirt on the floor, so I pick it up and put it over my sore naked body. I fasten a few buttons and go into the bathroom to wash my face and brush my teeth. I stare in the mirror and run my fingers gently over the bite mark on my neck. He was an animal last night, no doubt about it. I leave both the bathroom and the bedroom to search for Michael. When I finally find him, he's outside by the pool area, robe open with his boxer briefs and shades on looking like the king that he is.
I walk over to him and he looks at me, smiling. "There's Sleeping Beauty." I peck his lips. "I thought you'll never wake up."
I giggle. "How long have you been up?"
"Couple hours."
I nod and grab a piece of pineapple from the fruit bowl, then sit in the chair across from him. I take a bite out of the pineapple as the morning breeze sweeps over me.
"It's such a beautiful day today." I say, chewing. "We should go somewhere."
"I'm surprised you want to go anywhere the way you came out here limping."
I roll my eyes, playfully. "Shut up, Michael."
He grabs ahold of his chest. "Is that any way to speak to your man?"
I suppress a smile and grab another piece of fruit. "So, can we go somewhere?" I asked, chewing.
"Aren't we always going somewhere?"
"No. We haven't went out and done anything together as a couple since becoming one and I just want to spend a day with you outside of the house."
He sits there, silently staring at me. Or at least I think he is. I can't really tell with the shades on.
"Michael, could you take the shades off?"
"We're outside, Giselle. And the sun is out."
I get up from my seat and snatch off his shades. He looks at me like I've lost my mind.
I go back to my seat. "That's better." He shakes his head, smiling. "Now, can you find somewhere for us to go?"
"Yeah. Go get ready and meet me at the front door in an hour."
I smile. "Ok."
I get up and go upstairs to shower and get dressed. An hour later, I head downstairs, but Michael isn't down there. I wait about 10 or 15 minutes before I become impatient.
"Michael!" I called. "Michael!" I called, again.
No answer. I take my phone out and press on his number in my contacts. On the first ring he picks up.
"Yeah?"
"I'm down here by the door. Where are you?"

"Had you checked outside you would've known I was sitting out here waiting for you."
"But you told me-"
"I know what I told you, just come outside."
I huff, hanging up. This man. I open the front door, go outside, then close the door behind me. I bite down hard on my lip when Michael comes into view. Damn, this man is fine. I can't say it enough. He has his shades on, white collar shirt with the sleeves rolled mid-way, and black slacks. And he's standing in front of his candy apple red Ferrari. It don't get more GQ than that. He opens the passenger door and I go over to him, give him a kiss and get in. He closes the door and gets in on the driver side. He starts the car and drives up to the gate, which opens automatically when going out, then speeds off down the road. 30 minutes on the road and we pull in front of a wrought iron gate similar to Michael's gate. The gate opens up and he drives down the driveway until a castle-esque house comes into view with a fountain in the middle of the round-about driveway.
"This is beautiful. Is it one of your other houses?" I ask as Michael puts the car in park.
"No, this is my parents' house."
"Your parents' house?!" I asked, surprised. "As in your parents live here?"
"Yeah." He says, casually.
He unbuckles his belt and gets out of the car, walking around to my side. He opens my door and reaches his hand out to me to help me out. I take his hand and he closes the door once I'm out the car. We start walking toward the front door when I stop him.
"I'm sorry, but I can't do this. What if they don't like me? What if they don't approve of our relationship? What if-"
"Baby, slow yourself down." He says, placing his hands on my hips. "It doesn't matter whether they approve of our relationship. You're the woman I want to be with and you shouldn't worry about them not liking you. All that matters is that I like you, ok?" I nod and he pecks my lips. "And besides, you're the one that wanted to come out."
I squint at him and grab his hand as we continue for the door. He rings the doorbell and I swear my heart is about to beat out of my chest. A few seconds later, the door opens and I swear my heart just stopped.
"Michael!" She says, surprised.
"Hello, mother." He says, giving her a hug and kiss on the cheek.
"Why didn't you tell me you were coming?"
"I wanted to surprise you." He says, wrapping an arm around my waist.
"Oh, hello." She says, finally noticing me. "Who's this beautiful young lady?"
"Mother, this is Giselle."
"Well, it's nice to meet you. I'm Katherine." She says, reaching her hand to me.
"It's nice to meet you, as well." I say, taking her hand in mine, shaking it.
"Well, come on in." She says, stepping aside.

We go inside and head to the living room with Katherine in tow. Michael and I have a seat on the couch.
"I'm sorry I don't have anything cooked, but do y'all want anything to drink?"
"That's ok. We're all going out to dinner later."
Katherine takes a seat across from us. "I'm so glad you decided to stop by. I haven't seen you since you and Jessica ended the engagement."
I shift uncomfortably hearing that name.
"Well, I felt it was time for you to meet Giselle."
She nods. "So, Giselle, tell me about yourself. Are you from here?"
"No, I'm originally from Miami, Florida."
"Oh, that's nice. So this wasn't much of a change for you then."
"Somewhat, but as far as the heat goes, not at all."
"How long have you been in California?"
"3 years."
"Do you have family still down in Miami?"
"Yes, my grandmother."
"You must miss her, huh?"
"Yeah, I do." I said, sadly.
"I know the feeling. When we left Gary, Indiana, I battled with homesickness for at least a month. Maybe 2. And I called my mother almost everyday just to find comfort."
"So, mother, where's Joseph?" Michael asked.
"You know your father. If he's gone, then he's working." Katherine says. "I'm sure he'll be glad to see you."
"Yeah, I'll bet. The last time I was here he didn't even say two words to me."
"Michael, you weren't so innocent in that either. You have to be the bigger person."
"I've tried. He just knows how to push my buttons."
"Then stop letting him." Silence falls upon the room before Katherine speaks, again. "Joseph loves you, Michael. He may not show it, but he does." She stands from the seat. "What time are we leaving?"
"Between 5 and 6."
"I'm going to go finish cleaning up."
Once she leaves, I caress Michael's hand. "You ok?"
"Just fine."
There's an awkward silence and I'm trying to find something to break it.
"So...you wanna give me a tour of this beautiful place?"
He stands up, pulling me up with him. Michael gives me a tour of the downstairs first before we head upstairs. He shows me all the bedrooms, then we reach the last door in the hallway.

"And this is my room." He says, opening the door, allowing me to walk in first. I look around it, silently. "Well?"
"It's cute."
"Cute? You're the first girl I've had in here since I was 18 and all you can say is it's cute?"
I giggle and go over to his dresser. I look at the pictures and I happen to see one in particular that catches my eye.
I pick it up. "Is this you and David?"
He comes over to the dresser and scoffs. "Unfortunately."
"How old were y'all in this picture?"
"16...maybe 17." I look at him. "And before you say it, no."
"No, what?"
"You know what." He says, walking away from the dresser.
I turn to face him. "No I don't know what."
"I'm not reconciling with him." He says, lying back on his bed.
"So, you're just going to throw away a friendship?"
"Damn right I am. He disrespected me. Matter of fact, it goes beyond disrespect. And he's the one who broke our friendship, so you take it up with him. I, on the other hand, have nothing more to say about it."
""You are so stubborn." I say, folding my arms.
"Yep, that's me. Mr. Stubborn."
We stare at each other for a few seconds before I walk over to the double doors that leads to the balcony. I step outside closing the doors behind me. As much as I love Michael, I can't stand when he acts like that. And I don't know why because I could be that way too. Maybe we're just too much alike. I look back and he's staring right at me. I look back ahead of me, taking in the scenery. A few hours later, Michael tells me that Katherine is ready.
I go to walk past him, but he grabs my arm. "We gotta stop having these petty fights." He says, letting my arm go. "And you have to stop trying to force me to do things that I don't want to do and accept how I feel. If I say no to something, just let it be because the getting upset ain't going to work." I stare at him, silently. "If you have something to say, then go ahead and say it."
I walk past him and leave his room without a word.
"Is something wrong?" Katherine asked as we we're coming downstairs.
"Nope. Everything's just fine." I look back at Michael. "Right, Michael?" I asked with a fake smile.
He gives a fake smile back. "Right."
Katherine hands Michael some keys, which I found out were her keys to her car since Michael's doesn't have a backseat, we leave the house, and get in the car. Michael starts the car and as we're headed down the driveway, another car rides past us slowly.
"That must be Joseph." Katherine says.
"Yeah." Michael says, glumly.
I can tell by that response that once we get back, it's not going to be good.