Mikkel Boedker ~ COL

Height difference at a Target... (722 words)

---

"What else do we have to get?" I asked Mikkel as he read through the grocery list that he had written up for the next week.

"Uhh, oh yeah! I need some cereal..." Mikkel answered with a smile and I shrugged my shoulders.

"Which one do you want?"

"Ooh, Cocoa Puffs please!"

He walked up to the cereal aisle and grabbed the box of Cocoa Puffs before he came back to where I was and set it down in the shopping cart. We walked to the next aisle, which was practically snacks and candy. I started to push the cart down the aisle when a certain bag of candy caught my attention...

A smile lit up my face as I faced it and I tried to get it, only to realize that it was on the top shelf and I couldn't reach it. The smile faltered and I sensed Mikkel get close to me as I felt his arm brush mine as he grabbed the bag of candy with ease.

"Looking for this?" Mikkel smirked as he handed me the bag and I playfully scowled at him.

"I could've gotten it myself, thank you very much..." I muttered sarcastically at him as I walked back to where the shopping cart was and set the bag of candy down. "Where off to next, Mikkel?"

He looked down at the list and shrugged his shoulders, "we do need some ice cream!"

"Ice cream it is then!" I smiled as we both walked to where the freezers containing the ice cream were located.

Once we had reached the freezers, I searched around the entire rows of the freezers to find the ice cream that Mikkel had liked, only for it to be also on the top shelf...

"Damn those top shelves!" I muttered to myself as Mikkel walked up to me once more for the time we were spending at Target.

"Well, it's good exercise for me, anyways..." Mikkel grabbed the pint of ice cream and I let out a puff of air in annoyance. "What's wrong, sweetheart?"

I sighed dejectedly as I shrugged my shoulders, "I'd rather not talk about it..."

"Are you sure, Y/N?" Mikkel walked up to me as he set the ice cream down in the shopping cart and looked at me concernedly. "You don't seem to be fine..."

"Can we just finish up with the shopping for now? I'll tell you when we get in the car..." I avoided eye contact with him and he reluctantly nodded his head.

"Whatever you say, sweetheart..." Mikkel sighed as he took control of the shopping cart and we continued the shopping trip.

---

"Anything you want to tell me, honey?" Mikkel asked me as he was driving and kept his eyes on the road since it was snowing outside.

"It's nothing, just something stupid..." I scoffed as I looked down at my phone before I heard Mikkel clear his throat; which meant he wasn't about to have any of my lies.

"Y/N...Will you just please tell me what's wrong?" He pleaded with me and I knew I couldn't hide it from him any longer.

"I'm insecure about my height..." I softly mumbled to myself and Mikkel looked at me sadly before he focused himself back to the road.

"Honey...There's nothing to be ashamed of...I think you're beautiful no matter what. I'm not even that tall when I'm next to you!"

"Mikkel, you're six feet..."

"Some people say that I'm five feet eleven inches...Truth be told, I was also insecure of my height at some point in my career, but you know what that had led me to?"

"What did it lead you to?"

"I moved to Kitchener to play in the OHL; got drafted by the Yotes; got traded to the Avs a month ago, but more importantly, marrying you, Y/N..."

By the end of his speech, I was pretty sure that I had tears brimming in my eyes and I smiled softly at him.

"I guess that did make me feel a little better, Mikkel. Thank you." I grabbed his hand that wasn't on the steering wheel and held it in my hand. "I love you so much."

"I love you too, Y/N." He smiled softly at me and chuckled at the adorable moment that we had just shared together.