Matthew Tkachuk ~ London Knights

Birthday party catastrophe... (705 words)

(Matthew's POV)

---

"Matt, how's the cake looking so far?" I heard B/F/N whisper to me as I slowly walked into her apartment where the surprise party for Y/N's birthday was being held. 

"You do realize that she's out with her mom and sister, right B/F/N?" A smirk came across my face as I carefully walked through the doorway, only for Christian to run in here and knock the cake from my arms and onto the floor. "Oh my god...." 

There laid the cake all smashed up with the frosting sticking to the hardwood floor. 

"Christian, what did you do!?" Words squeaked out of my mouth in a high pitch as my hands went up to my head in shock. 

"Oh god, that was Y/N's birthday cake, wasn't it?" Christian mumbled as he got the cleaning supplies from the closet and started to clean the cake off the floor. "What are we going to do now?" 

"I don't know about you guys, but I have to get to Starbucks to meet up with Y/N...You guys think that you can bake a cake by the time I get back in about a few hours?" B/F/N walked out of the kitchen, slipped her winter coat and shoes on before she grabbed her car keys and waved goodbye at us. 

Christian looked at me and asked, "do you have any idea how to use an oven?" 

"You gotta be kidding me, right? You're 20 years old and you've never used an oven?" I looked over at him like he was crazy and he shrugged his shoulders. "Don't you bake cookies with your family during the Holidays?" 

"To be honest, my parents don't trust me anywhere near the kitchen..." 

I nodded my head before we headed over to the kitchen and started to get the necessary ingredients needed for Y/N's birthday. 

---

"Dibs on frosting the cake!" Christian held the spatula in his hand and I handed the bowl of the F/C frosting over to him. 

Grabbing the cooled and cut layers of cake, I let Chris frost between the layers before we got to the final layer and wrote out a happy birthday message to Y/N. 

"I feel like something's missing..." I sighed as I looked at the cake before a light bulb went off in my head. "I got it!" 

Grabbing the chocolate chips that were in the pantry next to the flour, I grabbed a handful of them and coated around the outside of the cake with them. 

Stepping back from the cake and looking at it, I gave a thumbs up at Christian and asked him to send B/F/N a text telling her that the cake is ready. 

---

There was speaking going on outside and I immediately shushed everyone before telling them to go to their designated hiding spots while I went upstairs and changed into my suit. I was advised to stay up there until B/F/N sent me a text when it was time to cut the cake. 

I heard everyone yell surprise and that made me slightly nervous because she thought I was in Saginaw for a game when really, I was in the same area as her. 

All of a sudden, I felt a vibration coming from my pants and I dug out my phone, only to see a text saying that they were going to cut the cake. 

---

"Y/N, we got a birthday surprise for you..!" B/F/N giggled as I watched her bring the cake over before she whistled me to come over. 

"Happy birthday to you..." I started to sing to her and almost right after, her hands flew up to her mouth when I walked into the room.

"Matt...what-how-you're here!" She squeaked out as tears started to flow out of her eyes. 

"I could never be away on your birthday!" I smiled as I pulled her in for a bear hug. 

"I missed you so much..." She whispered to me and I chuckled softly. 

"I missed you too...Now how about we go ahead and cut the cake that I worked my butt off for?" I heard someone clear their throat and I sighed. "Christian and I..." 

"Thank you!" Christian piped up and that caused all of us to laugh.