Chapter 20

4 pm ballgame

This is going to be tough on all of them but they promised Robert they would well everyone but Roberts parents came. The stands are full of family and friends supporting Ace and the family. The Indians are all wearing a black band with Roberts jersey number from high school on it. They've painted his number in the grass behind home plate. The ceremonial first pitch is thrown by Ace and he runs to give his mom the ball before he sprints to his spot in centerfield. This game may not be an area game but it is just important it is their cross creek rival midfield. Bragging rights and the fact they are a school 3 times the Indians size.
It is a close game going back and forth, Ace is having a great game making plays in centerfield and a great day at the plate. They head into the bottom of the 7th inning behind Midfield with a score of 4-3. Peyton gets a hit then they walk the next batter and then hit Nick which brings Ace up to bat. Before he steps in the batter's box he looks to his mom and points to the sky. She smiles with tears in her eyes and nods at him. Cheyenne looks to BG and says someone needs to record this he nods tells Kolby and he pulls his phone out. There are no outs bases loaded and as Ace steps in the box and gets set, Cheyenne raises her hands to her mouth, the pitch is in the air and Ace swings and at the sound of the bat hitting the ball all Cheyenne can do is watch Ace as he tosses his bat and heads to first. The ball continues out over the wall it's a GRAND SLAM! Ace runs the bases and as he rounds third he takes his fist beats his heart twice and points to the sky. The crowd has went crazy the team mets him at home plate and Cheyenne sits down with tears streaming down her face she whisper thank you Robert. This was Ace's first high school home run he hit it so hard it landed on the infield of the girl's softball field. Ben BG's drummer runs to retrieve it for them.
The teams shake hands and Ace leaves the field runs past everyone to find Cheyenne. He hugs his mom and sisters and this private family moment had become very public. They all cry and know that yes it's hard but they know without a doubt it's going to be alright. They aren't alone, they have an angel watching over them. Ace heads back to the field to his team. Cheyenne just sits down and cries, all the fans are congratulating her and because the other team knows what has happened they all make a point to say something to Ace. A tough day just got sweet.
They all head to the Mexican restaurant to celebrate the win. It was a big crowd loud and boisterous, just the way Robert would want it. They all order and get their drinks. Cheyenne stands up and gets everyone's attention. She says" I just want to thank each of you for your support and love this week. My family is blessed to have you in our lives to help us through the past few days. Now with that being said lets celebrate this win and a grand slam by my favorite team the Indians and my favorite player Ace by raising our glasses with a toast to Robert. Cheers" with glasses raised everyone said cheers and the band beats the table in approval. This is exactly what Robert would have wanted.

Nate POV:
I am amazed by Cheyenne. I knew she was strong I just had no idea how strong. I mean she is the backbone of her family. I can't wait for BG to head back to Georgia so I wil be able to talk to her more without him getting in the way. I know I said that crap to Robert about her screaming my name as I fuck her but I just said that to piss him off. I love her only she has know clue I feel like that. I did mean what I said about being there for her and waiting and when she is ready if she will give me a shot I won't mess it up. I want what they had I want a love like that. She has know idea how gorgeous she is. I sit here watching her with family and friends and I know that I have something precious in the fact that she calls me a friend and cares about me. It just hurts to see her leaning on BG. I wonder what the deal is, Amber didn't come for the funeral and you can tell it pissed him off. I hope he doesn't think that he can step in for fucks sake he is married. Not that Cheyenne would give him the time of day because of that. Her morals are so strong it makes me wonder what she sees in a redneck country boy like me. She doesn't care about my reputation. She told me one time that I don't let people get close and that's true but somehow that blonde haired blue eyed pixie has gotten under my skin. I just hope I can wait and not push her before she is ready. Things are starting to wind down so I'm gonna say my goodbyes and head out. Another day of work tomorrow and then the weekend and if I'm lucky BG and that whole crew will be leaving tomorrow.