Jo In Sung

Jo In Sung's POV

I took a deep breath and practiced my lines, "Will you marry me? Will you marrryy me? Gahhh I'm so nervous!" I smiled excitedly to myself and bought her, her favorite flowers, Baby's breath. When I drove into her neighborhood, I parked a street away so I would be able to surprise her. She would always come out to greet me when seeing my car.

When I got to her street, the first thing I saw was smoke. When I got closer to the house, I realized that there was a fire. "___!" I ran as quickly as possible to her front gate and opened it. Then I ran to the front door and tried kicking it down.  After 4 kicks, it burst open and a gust of smoke came out causing me to cough and cover my face.

I covered my nose and mouth, then ran inside the house. "___!" I shouted. "___! Where are you?"
I frantically searched around the house and came to the kitchen to find her lying on the ground. "___!" I ran to her and a bookshelf fell right in front of me. I went around it and got to her. I held her in my arms. Her eyes slightly opened and I was filled with relief that she was still alive. I said, "I'm going to get you out of here. Stay with me okay?"

She nodded and leaned into my chest. I carried her bridal style and headed towards the front door. Going through the living room, the chandelier was shaking and was about to fall. As soon as it fell, I jumped away with ___ still in my arms. We slid across the marble floor and I grunted in pain. A few glass pieces scratched my face. I tried my best to get onto my knees to check on her. She was knocked out, her forehead bleeding. "___! ___ !" I couldn't tell if she was still alive or not because I couldn't get the chance to check her pulse. The firefighters entered the building and pulled me away. "No! I need to see if she's still alive! Wait!"

I saw her necklace on the floor and quickly picked it up when they started pulling me off the ground. The other 2 firefighters were carrying her and we all made it out of the building. They took me to the ambulance outside and I frantically tried to get out of their grip to go to her. She was put on a trolley and was being pushed to the other ambulance. I got to her right before they were able to put her into the ambulance and held onto her hand. "___, it's me. I'm okay so please be okay. Hm? You're going to be fine." I turned to the firefighters and asked, "She's okay right? Everything's going to be okay right?"

They said nothing. They looked away from my gaze and the expression in their faces told me something I did not want to believe. I turned back to look at her and said, "No, it's not true! You're still alive! Please, baby, stay with me!" Tears automatically started falling and my whole body started trembling. My heart was already broken into pieces and I felt instant regret. "___! Please!" I took out the ring, still in my pocket, and put it onto her finger. "I- I was going to give this to you today. I really wanted to be by your side for the rest of our lives. I love you. Please...please..."

I leaned over her and cried, not wanting to believe a single thing that just happened. Even though I couldn't believe it, I still couldn't help but cry out loud.

******

Somehow I ended up at the beach where we used to always come to together. The sun was setting and the wind was gently blowing. I still couldn't believe she was really gone. I was walking along the shore with my feet in the water, and with my shoes still on. I didn't feel like taking them off. I was holding onto her picture and her necklace with the ring on it, the only things left I really had from her. Everything else was burned down in her house.

I stopped walking and shouted out all my anger, sadness, and regret. While shouting, one tear after another would fall down my cheek. I kicked at the water and shouted until I couldn't anymore and kept crying. I fell onto my knees and hit the sand over and over again, trying to get rid of the pain running through my chest. Running out of strength, I grasped onto my heart and stayed there on my knees, crying for the longest time. I'm sorry that I couldn't protect you... Please forgive me... I love you...

Just then, the wind blew harder and I looked up. It was as if the wind was her telling me that everything was going to be alright. I slightly nodded my head but still couldn't stop crying. I took a deep breath and sat on the floor with a tear rolling down my cheek.

I Love you

Song: Various Artists - 겨울에 만난사랑 (That Winter, The Wind Blows OST)