Lee Hyun Woo

(Start music when you see "*")

I tied my hair up and put my black cap on with my hoodie over before leaving the house

"Unnie..." I turned around to look at my 5 year old little sister, Byul, who just woke up. "Where are you going?"
I smiled and went to her, sitting on the floor and stroking her hair. "I'll be right back. It won't be for long, okay? Go back to sleep."
She obliged and nodded her head. When she closed her eyes, I got up and left.

~~~

Arriving at a small convenience store, I walked around and stealthily stuffed small amounts of food into my pockets. She must be starving... I need to hurry back... This should be good enough. I stopped by the counter and paid for the cheapest thing I could find to avoid suspicion.

When I walked out the doors, it wasn't long until the owner came running out and shouted, "Hey you!"
I kept walking and picked up my pace.
"Stop right there!"
Ah s***, he's running after me! I took off running.

Right when I turned the corner, I ran into someone and dropped some of the food onto the floor. My cap also came off. "Aish..." I quickly picked them up and put my cap back on before attempting to run again.

*Start music here*

"____?"
I stopped and froze when I heard my name being called. That voice... I slowly turned around and saw Lee Hyun Woo, my old friend...
"Hyun Woo...?" I whispered.
"Hey! Stop right there you thief!" The man was still chasing after me. I glanced at Hyun Woo once more before running away.

Why...why did he have to be there? Why did he have to see me like that? I felt tears streaming down my face as I ran. Why him?

~~~

When I got home, I went inside to find Byul out of bed, gone. Fear and panic took over my body as I ran out of the house to look for her.

"Byul-ah!! Byul!!" I ran around the neighborhood like a madwoman. Tears kept rolling down my cheeks, afraid to lose her too.

~~~

I arrived at a park and saw Byul crying while sitting on the swings. Relief flushed through me. "Byul-" I stopped when I saw who she was with. Hyun Woo.
I slowly and quietly walked a bit closer to hear what they were talking about.
"Byul-ah, why are you crying? I'm here with you now." He spoke gently.
"Oppa... I think my sister disappeared. She went out for so long and I was scared. I'm so happy you found me!" Her crying broke my heart. Then her stomach grumbled and she looked even more sad, "I'm hungry..."

I was about to run up to her but stopped when I saw him give her a small lunch box. "Here, eat this."
"Really? I can eat this?" He nodded his head and she stopped crying. She now had a huge smile on her face. Byul opened the lunch box and said, "My sister must be hungry too. Oppa, can I save some for her?"
He chuckled and said, "Of course~ Now, let's get you back home first okay?"
She nodded her head as she closed the box and stood up, grabbing onto his hand as they walked away.

I let out a huge sigh and sat down on the swings where Byul was sitting earlier. I took out a piece of bread that I stole earlier and took a bite. When I did, a tear rolled down my cheek. Then another, and another. I felt so helpless...useless. I sat there on the swings by myself, crying the tears I could never show in front of Byul.

~~~

"Why are you still here?"
I looked up and saw Hyun Woo standing by me with soft eyes. I quickly wiped away the tears that were still slowly rolling down my cheeks and looked down at the ground.
I tried my best to smile and said, "Thank you...for taking care of Byul..."
He sat down on the swing next to me and gently swung back and fourth. After a moment, he said, "I missed you."

I looked at him surprised but then felt sad again and looked away. He continued speaking and spoke with a gentle voice, "Why didn't you tell me?"
I sadly smiled and sighed deeply, "Because I didn't want you to pity me." I glanced at him to see a surprised expression I couldn't really read. I continued talking, "My family wasn't doing to good with money...and it didn't get any better after they passed away in that car accident either... You already know I have no more family other than Byul now..." I started to tear up again.

"You have me."
I looked at him surprised but then said, "I should go."
I started walking away but then he grabbed my wrist and said, "Don't run away. You have me. I'm always by your side no matter what! Do you know how worried I was when you stopped coming to school? I had no way of contacting you! I-"
"I didn't want to see you or anyone else giving me sad looks just like how you are right now! I don't want people to just...look at me and see me as the sad and depressed girl who just lost her family and has nothing..." I began crying and couldn't even talk anymore.

"I see a strong and beautiful girl....one with a great heart who loves her family and will do anything to support them. I see my best friend. I see...the girl I'm in love with."
A tear rolled down my cheek. He stepped closer to me and said, "I love you ___. Of course I'll worry about you and Byul. And you're not the only one who's hurting. Byul's hurting. I'm hurting."
"Why would you be hurting?" I asked sniffing my nose.
"Because you're hurting." His straightforward answer made me quiet. "I love you ____. Don't push me away..."
I felt tears running down my cheeks. Without another word, he pulled me into his safe arms and hugged me tightly.

When I calmed down, he slightly pulled away and planted a warm kiss on my forehead.
I smiled and after a moment I said, "I should get back to Byul now."
"I'll go with you."
I didn't argue with him. "Okay."
He took my hand and we walked home together side by side under the streetlights.

Requested by @fandomgirl2000

Song: V.A. - Magnolia (Innocent Man OST)