36

(A/n: Longest chapter I've ever written.)

Unedited.

--------------------------

"I can't believe it."

"What?" spat Taylor, annoyed that her brother had been repeating the same sentence over and over for the past five minutes.

"Will you please stop sounding like a broken record?" Taylor heard a soft giggle from her best friend who was sitting on the sofa with a small, white kitten on her lap. This immediately grasped Austin's attention.

"You took Karlie with you to get your new cat? Her? And you didn't even bother to tell me that you were getting one? We met last night, Taylor. We spent literally two hours here, at this table, talking." Austin pointed at the dining table in the corner of the large room.

Taylor just rolled her eyes. She was used to Austin Swift's exaggerated accusations while her house guests were simply amused to be introduced to this strange dynamic between the Swift siblings.

"And you didn't once think, 'Oh, I should tell him that I'm getting a new pet tomorrow'?" Austin was trying to be angry but he really couldn't keep it up for long, his attention was being taken up by the cutest animal he'd ever seen.

"I'm sorry, it must've slipped my mind. Are you done now?" Taylor asked, a smirk taking up her lips as she watched her brother cross the room and head straight for the newest member of the Swift household.

"Whatever," replied the man, kneeling beside a silent but captivated Karlie who was holding Detective Olivia Benson firmly in place. The younger sibling quietly petted the rather curious cat on the head, stroking her fur while his grin took up his whole face.

The three of them were completely silent as they watched Olivia respond to Austin's new touch. They had been playing with the kitten for over an hour since they brought her home but it was interesting to see Olivia work so well with new people.

Taylor in particular, was beyond surprised to see her so friendly and it almost made her believe that she'd adopted a fake one.
After a few minutes of research online and an hour of observation, the singer was pretty sure she had managed to adopt a puppy instead. Olivia Benson had been scampering about the house like she couldn't contain her excitement.
Every bone in her body is a curious one, so that's normal, thought Taylor, when she saw the way Olivia was trying to hop into Austin's arms with her wide eyes focused on his palms.

Taylor let out a soft giggle when the kitten finally made the change of hands. Karlie however, shushed her immediately, her whole face was lit up like the sun as she continued to look at the white Scottish-fold.
Joining her best friend on the large couch, the singer watched Olivia scurry up Austin's arms. For a kitten who could barely walk, she was fast, and Taylor wondered if that was going to be a problem.

"Uh-oh." Karlie's voice interrupted their silence as they looked up to see what the model was talking about. Meredith had finally decided to come down from wherever she usually hid herself and her eyes were focused on the new feline in Austin's arms who was evidently, also staring at the larger cat.

"I think she's in shock." Taylor said in a mere whisper, all three of them waiting with bated breath to see which one would make the first move. The Swifts expected a nasty fall out from Meredith's side, but then again, that cat was always full of surprises.

"Olivia, calm down." Austin whispered, petting the kitten and trying to stop her from leaping out of his arms. The siblings knew from previous experience that this wasn't the way to introduce two cats and they didn't want Olivia's seemingly eager behaviour to scare the resident away.