Regret (Steve Rogers x Reader)

Requested by @CrAzY_and_MaD

______

Steve stared at the letter in his hand. "I don't understand." He repeated, confused.

Tony stared the the blonde. "You can't see Y/N again. She's going to be sent away to a safer facility."

Steve stared right back at Tony. "I-I understand that but I feel like you have something to add."

Tony put a hand on his shoulder before starting to walk out of the room. "She's going to confess her feelings to you. And you know what you have to do." He sighed, "Sorry, cap."

Steve watched Tony's retreating figure.

He really liked Y/N. He feels like he's been happier around her, every stressful thing seem to disappear when she smiled. Steve had always debating to asking her out, but his fears about rejection always held him back.

But now she was going to confess to him, and he can't accept because she was going to leave for good.

Y/N was a powerful person. Her ability to create energy in any form made her a dangerous person to be walking around carelessly. The government handed her over to SHEILD and there was always debate about her transferring to a place where there isn't much civilians to be studied.

She never really mind. Y/N was used to it. People just wanting her for her ability, not really caring for her. It was quite sad, really.

Steve always reassured her that people do care for her and they don't care for just her ability.

His mind raced for excuses for when she confesses to him. Part of him just wanted to run away with her and forget about the government, the world or her unstable ability.

Sitting on the edge of his bed, he stared out into the Manhattan skyline. His fingers toyed with a shiny ring with a red/blue star. He wore it with a chain as a necklace. It was a good luck charm he always had from Y/N.

Almost on cue, the door swung open revealing a smiling Y/N.

"Hey, Steve." She said, skipping over to him.

Steve felt a uneasy feeling in his stomach as he sent her a strained smile. "I heard you're leaving." Then, mentally slapping himself for being so direct.

Her smile faltered. "Yeah... But I get to go to the Chinese country side." She attempted to smile as she sat next to him. "They promised me to go to the Great Wall and the Palace."

"That's nice of them." He commented, letting the silence consume them.

Steve turned to stare at Y/N. Her eyes were far away and staring into the tinted windows. Trying to memorize her face, he opened his mouth speak.

"Listen I—"

"Steve, I—"

They laughed, nervously as their fingers fidgeted in their lap.

"You go first—"

"No, ladies first–"

She smiled, sheepishly, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear. Steve felt a tug at his heart as dread settled in his stomach.

"Steve, since I'm leaving... I figured I'd tell you because I have nothing to loose, so here goes nothing." Laughing, nervously, she looked at the white carpet. "I really enjoyed spending time with you, Steve. And I just wanted to say that I always really liked you more than a friend."

Standing up abruptly, she smiled a little too strained. "I-I... I wanted to hear what you have to say before I leave and we're probably not going to see each other again so, um..." Her eyes stared into his as she rambled. She seemed to be searching for something as she scrunched her eyebrows.

"Y/N..." His voice died off in the end as his mind struggled to make out words. "I-I don't know what to say."

Her hands curled into fist as she blinked away her glassy eyes. "You don't have to say anything. I didn't know what I was looking for—j-just forget about everything. I-I guess I was just hoping like the little naive girl I am."

Steve didn't look at her as he stared into the carpet, not daring to meet her eyes out of fear that he might break.

"Bye Steve." She said, quietly before he heard the door click.

His hands shook as he curled around the ring, chucking it across the room and making a small dent in the white walls.

His heart felt like it was about to break. Even though his mind screamed at him to run after her, his legs stayed rooted.

"I-I made a mistake." He sucked in a shaky breath, saying his thoughts out loud to no one particular.

So Steve just stayed like that, regretting not running after the girl that made him happy.