5| Anything

Patrick

"Pass! Pass" I yell as Will, Camden, Danielle and I play mini sticks in the basement. I was on a team with Will then Camden and Danny was on a team. And I hate to admit it but we were getting beat pretty bad and it's not even Wills fault.

When I used to play with my sisters I would get so competitive and we would have some epic battles. We would get physical or yell at each other and it would always be a good time, as long as I win. And to my pleasure Danny was just as competitive, and a lot hotter than my sisters.

"Cam I'm open" Danny yells. He lays a admittedly impressive pass on her tap and she taps it in. He jumps in her arms and she raises him up above her head. They were honestly adorable.

"Alrighty kiddos. Time for bed" she announces and the boys start groaning.

"One more game" Will begs.

"William" she warns and he sigh.

"Fine, I'm going I'm going" he mumbles. He picks his brother up and heads up to their room. Danny starts picking up and I help her.

"They are adorable, aren't they" I smile.

"They're my favorite little kids ever" she smiles.

"It's cool they have like a second mom" he says.

"I hope my kids are that cool. But Suzy and Stan are great parents, I have the easy part, I just look after them" she shrugs.

"Still. You had some hard times growing up. You could have easily gone down the wrong path" I argue.

"Yeah, but I grew up with hockey. Always something there to keep me happy" she smiles.

"I guess we have that in common" I smile back.

We get everything picked up and make sure the boys get to bed. Suzanne and Stan were at the hospital while he does chemo and we were with the kids tonight. I didn't mind the extra responsibility around here and I'll find any excuse to hang out with Danny.

"Danny can you read us a poem" Cam asks. How do you say no to that face?

"Sure sweetie, what do you want to hear" she asks.

"An original" he says and she nods.

"Okay. I can do that" she nods. She sits on his bed and tucks him in before starting.
"Across the ice, a look you must double
Like a flash of fire, he avoids all trouble.
As fast as a car,
As bright as a star,
People will know his name
both near and far.
Forehand and backhand, in and out,
The puck is in the back of net no doubt.
He can't be stopped,
Whole hearted and never cropped,
His skills so smooth that he can't be topped.
He might be young but he's still good,
One day his name will be on the cup as it should."

"Wow Danny, that was amazing" Cam gasps.

"Just for you" she smiles. She kisses each of their cheeks before we walk away and go to hang out in my room.

We get some popcorn and sit on my bed like we do most nights. It's been a month I've been living here and we found a pretty good rhythm. Usually we get snacks and movies and stay up late to watch them. Just keeping each other company in this big city. It's easy feeling empty with so much space down here but she makes me feel whole.

"So... you write poetry" I ask.

"I took a class about it in college last semester. I had to take a English class for my degree and I took that one. It was honestly my favorite one, I have a hard time expressing myself and this was a good outlet. I have a lot of feelings and I was able to turn them into art" she explains.