59| Charmed

Danielle

It is Christmas time in the Bowman household and we were defiantly feeling it. There was a light layer of snow covering the ground and that made me especially happy. This year, to everyone's dismay, I was in charge of holiday festivities and like always I did more than most would. I can't help it, I really love Christmas. For this year everyone had to wear a onesie because I think it would be great that everyone can be comfortable plus it's a great conversation starter. I personally got everyone a onesies with a number of their choice and a nickname on the back. It was either a reindeer or a snowman or Santa or mrs. Clause. Something that when we look back we can smile.

My onesie was Mrs. Clause with the number 88 on the back and Danny in big letters. Patrick has a Santa clause one with 88 and Patty on there because I was in charge of getting them done and I suck. Will was a cute little reindeer with a 88 on the back because he wanted to be Patrick and his nick name which was Willy. Camden was a snowman with 10 on the back because he loved uncle Sharpy and the name Cam above it. Everyone looked super good and super comfortable. The only one who complained was my uncles wife and she was just made she couldn't show off her legs. Poor her.

My favorite one was my dad, he was a Christmas tree and since he only had one leg it was his stump. He had a great sense of humor about his missing leg and once he told me his idea for his onesie I was all over it. His name on the back was Daddy Dave and he had the number 7 because it was my moms favorite number.

Around lunch time we all sit in the living room in our onesies feeling extremely comfortable. We all have a glass of wine or a cup of hot chocolate in hand and we just reminisce on memories. The good old times when things were simple and things weren't so complicated. I sit in Patrick's lap surrounded by my family never failing to smile.

Stan starts to clink his glass with a spoon and the crowd settles down.

"Everyone, can we have your attention" he starts and Patrick pulls me further into his lap. I rest my head on his shoulder as he kisses my forehead. Nice.

"I am happy to announce that Suzanne and I are expecting another kid" he says and my head pops up.

"You guys are having a baby" I yell.

"Yes we are, and I appreciate your enthusiasm" Suzanne laughs.

"When are you due" my grandma asks.

"In may" she says.

"Oh that's so exciting, I can't wait" my cousin Rachel cheers. We break into little groups again and Patrick and I end up talking to Rachel like always.

"So, I'm hoping I'm invited to the wedding" she starts and I laugh.

"Invitations are being send out early next year, and yes you're getting one" I giggle.

"Sweet. I love to party" she admits. Of course she does.

After a lot of laughs it comes time to exchange presents. Since our family is so big we usually just draw names. This year I had my grandma and my aunt Alicia had me.

I was always close with my aunt Alicia. She was the only one older than my dad and those two were something else. She was a free spirit, never did stay in one place too long. Never settled down or had kids or anything like that. But she was like a mom to me, always looked out for me and kept up with my life. Her and Suzanne had been helping out with the wedding and I am so thankful for that because I wouldn't be able to do it myself.

I open the box she set in my lap and smile big when I see a necklace with a pair of hockey sticks at the end with some other charms. There was a breast cancer sign along with a book and a heart, but the hockey sticks were the biggest one.

"Oh Aunt Alicia, this is lovely. I adore it" I say with a big smile. I put it on and she smiles bright.

"I was hoping you would like it" she says

"Like it? I love it! Thank you so much" I say giving her a big hug.

"Of course sweetie, stay strong" she says patting my back. I return to Patrick who my grandpa had for Christmas. I walk over and he had a LaFontaine sabers jersey on with a big signature on the back. Every single tooth was showing as he smiled so bright.

"Are you crying" I giggle and he nods.

"This is the best day of my life" he sniffles.

"Thank god we haven't got married yet" I tease and he shakes his head. He hands me a bag and I look at him weird.

"We already exchanged gifts" I remind him.

"This is a little something else. And before you ask no you I will not take it back" he says and I roll my eyes. I take the bag and he stares at me.

"What? You want me to open it too" I ask and he nods. I take out the stuffing and find a tiara with a vail on it. I smile as I pull it out and he smiles big.

"Patrick... this is beautiful" I gasp. It was really pretty. He puts it on my head before flipping the veil over. He places a kiss on my lips and I hear a few awwws from the crowd.

"I love you" he says as we break apart.

"I love you too."