52| Just The Way You Are

Patrick

After a good training camp and preseason it was time to start our long and hard path to the Stanley cup. We have a really good team this year and are hoping to make it all the way this time. We were young but we were hungry. It was about time to bring the cup back home to Chicago.

As I prepare for the game I'm a little more nervous than normal. There was a lot of talk around this team and I don't want to let them down. There's a lot of pressure on me to carry this team to glory and I really hope I can do it. All this talk about the cup and all my dreams coming true... I'm honestly nervous as hell.

I wake up from my pre game nap and roll out of bed. Like literally fell on the floor because I wouldn't get up any other way. Eventually I throw on some fresh boxers and walk into the kitchen to find Danny listening to music and cooking.

You know that myth that really smart people listen to classical music? Well it's true. All the different types of compositions and songs, all instruments, that's all she listens to when she's trying to focus, it's all so beautiful. She can close her eyes and find a happy place and I'm kind of jealous she can calm so easily. I would kill to listen to classical music before a game and just be at peace. If only...

But this time instead of just listening she starts singing and I freeze in my spot. I stop to listen and I was shocked by what I heard.

"Don't go changing to try and please me
You never let me down before
Don't imagine you're too familiar
And I don't see you anymore

I wouldn't leave you in times of trouble
We never could have come this far
I took the good times; I'll take the bad times
I'll take you just the way you are."

Her voice... it was so beautiful. I mean everything she does is, but now more so than ever. I let my eyes close as her calming voice fills my head. The piano accompanies her stunning vocals and I feel all my stress melt away.

"Don't go trying some new fashion
Don't change the color of your hair
You always have my unspoken passion
Although I might not seem to care

I don't want clever conversation
I never want to work that hard
I just want someone that I can talk to
I want you just the way you are."

The saxophone comes in and she starts to sway. She pulls her long her black hair into a pony tail before going back to cooking. I watch as her hips slowly sway as she stirs whatever is on the stove. Her voice gets louder but stays smooth the whole time. I feel every hair in my arms raise as a chill falls down my spine.

"I need to know that you will always be
The same old someone that I knew
What will it take till you believe in me
The way that I believe in you?

I said I love you and that's forever
And this I promise from the heart
I could not love you any better
I love you just the way you are."

The song changes and I finally walk over to her. I sit on top of the island as she takes her food off the stove.

"That was beautiful" I say and she jumps a little.

"How long have you been standing there" she asks.

"Long enough. Did you write that" I ask and she laughs.

"That's a Billy Joel song" she giggles and I blush.

"Oh" I chuckle. Well that's embarrassing.

"And thank you, I usually don't sing in front of people though" she admits.

"I know. I've known you for years I've never heard you sing before. But your voice is so amazing, why don't you let people hear you sing" I ask as she sets a bowl of soup in front of me.

"Because I get my voice from my mother. I get told all the time that I sound just like her. She used to sing that song to me and it's just not the same. I hear her in my voice but I know she's not there, I don't like showing that side of me" she admits.

"But just like the rest of you, that side is very beautiful" I say and she smiles.

"Thank you, but it's just hard, you know? I hate that I can't hear her voice anymore" she says.

"I get it. I do, but I also think your voice is too pretty to hide" I say.

"When my voice is needed, it'll be there" she explains. Always has been.

I finally take a bite of the soup she made and nearly fall off my seat. My eyes roll to the back of my head as all the flavors pop in my mouth.

"Wow, okay. You've made some great food before but never like this. Holy shit" I gasp taking another bite and another.

"I figured you should have a good meal before the first game of the season" she shrugs.

"Don't remind me" I mumble.

"The great Patrick Kane isn't scared of a game now is he" she asks.

"A little" I admit.

"Why would you possibly be scared? You were literally born for this" she laughs.

"Maybe, but just because I was born for it doesn't mean I won't make mistakes" I defend.

"You're going to make mistakes, and it's going to suck" she starts.

"Wow... thanks" I laugh.

"I'm not done" she replies with a hint of sass in her voice and it was honestly so hot. "But what makes a great player great isn't not making mistakes, it's making up for their mistakes. It's when they stop trying to be so perfect and just play the game. You're trying too hard, Patrick you're an amazing player. Whenever you're on the ice there isn't a doubt in my mind that you are the best player out there. I know you feel like you have the weight of this franchise on your shoulders, but it's not the end of the world if you aren't always the guy to make it happen. You're on a team of great players but you have to trust yourself to be where you need to be when you need to be there" she explains.

"It sounds so simple when you say it" I smile.

"The guys, this city, me, we need you... but we need you just the way you are" she says.

"And I love you... just the way you are."