54| Medal of Honor

Danielle

"How do I look" my dad asks adjusting his suit and I smile big. I fix his camo tie and adjust his black jacket before stepping back to take a look.

"There, you look great" I claim.

"Thanks, you look amazing as well" he says and I blush a little.

"Thanks daddy" I smile.

He hobbles over to a chair in the corner and sits down. I watch him carefully as he looks around the large room we were in.

While the Hawks took on the caps here in Washington my dad was given his sixth and final Medal of Honor. That's three more than anyone else in any war ever. My mom would be so proud, I know I am.

So here we sit in the White House waiting for the president to introduce my dad and give him his medal. He continues to look around trying to take it all in, he's been here before but it never gets old.

Finally my dad is announced and I take a seat in the front row. I hear cameras and a mumbles begin as he slowly walks out there. He was still getting used to his new leg but he was doing so good. If he's going far or out for a long time he'll use the crutches or wheelchair but he really wanted his leg for this event.

President Obama smiles bright as he comes over. I feel someone slip in the seat next to me and see Patrick in a nice suit. His hair still wet from morning skate as he smelled like aftershave.

"Did I miss it" he whispers.

"Nope, you're just in time" I say taking his hand in mine and lacing our fingers together. The president shakes my dads hand as everyone's flash from the camera goes off. I can't tell he's nervous but he gets through it.

"It is a true honor to have the most decorated veteran this country has ever seen with us today. Words cannot explain the lives he has touched, both soldiers and the common people that were his friends. He was the bravest guy out there more times than not, always protecting the innocent and defending his country. Already the recipient of the most medal of honors, I am blessed to be giving you your sixth and final medal. What you have done will go down as the greatest individual affect on any war. I want to be one of the many to tell you thank you" Obama says. He places the medal around my dads neck and I wipe away a tear as he stares at the medal around his chest. He turns to the crowd as he steps up to the podium.

"Hello everyone. Thank you so much for making me seem a lot cooler than I actually am" he starts and the crowd laughs. "I bet a lot of people are saying "he's done this five other times, this probably isn't that cool anymore". But that couldn't be more wrong. I think this one is special, because I know this one is it. I've done everything I can to protect this great land. I've killed people, I've saved even more people, I've watched some of the strongest men die beside me. I even died for a little. But I'm going to tell you something I've learned in my time fighting, being a good person will get your farther than any gun and bomb and racial or religious issue ever will. Because I was able to make friends in a different culture I'm still alive today. I cannot begin to explain the things I've learned on the front line of a never ending war. Because as much as we wished it will all be over soon, it's far from over. But it's not impossible to find a solution, because I found it. It's human nature. It's wanting to love and be loved. It's wanting to help and not having a reason as to why you want to. You just do. No one made me do what I did, but I know that if I had a chance to do it all over again I would. For the good people over there fighting for what we have, and that's freedom. Freedom to love, freedom of speech, and freedom to express yourself.

But that being said my time has come. When I went MIA I had a lot of time to think. And I wasn't thinking about losing my leg or even losing the war, I was thinking about the only thing that I have left that I've fallen in love with, and that's my daughter. After losing my wife I defected to Afghanistan because even though it was terrible there it wasn't as painful as being home. Being reminded that I lost my best friend and that when I come home she won't be there. I would rather fight a million wars than have to face my war back here. But when I got hurt I thought about the ten year old girl I left with my brother. I left her with no parents and no real memories to hold onto. Each time I came home she looked and sounded more and more like her mom. I knew she needed me and I wasn't there. I was there for everyone in this country but my daughter. I thought she wouldn't want me back after what I did to her. But she understood, she's the smartest person I know. She's just 21 and writing a book and about to get her bachelors in business. She's American and I'm proud of her.