The Slaves

It's hours later when the man at the front holds up an arm, the guards all stopping and pulling things from the front of the cart.

Bridgette blinks awake a bit and stands up, feeling shaky. Her mind flicks to Alek and her stomach knots. She wonders if he told the king anything that would bring Darwin to this.

The guards each begin talking to eachother, three standing post watching while two cook, one making the guard's meals and the other, the slave's.

Bridgette looks for a way she could possibly run.

A: (She is a swift runner hehe)

The cook making the slave's meal moves to the cart, opening the door. "Eat." He says coldly.

Bridgette walks to the food.

A: (Out or in the cart?)

L: (In the cart)

He places a pot of oatmeal on the floor.

A: (W elp.)

Bridgette kicks over the cook and bolts out the cart, running as fast as she can down the road.

The cook curses, other guards moving to her.
The other guards seem slow, but the head cook jumps up, sprinting despite the armor and tackling Bridgette.

Bridgette yelps and hits the ground harshly, scraping her arm slightly. She struggles. "Let me go! Please!" Her voice is pleading.

"I've got her!" The chef yells to the others, getting to his feet, holding her arms behind her back.

She struggles more and tries to pull away from his grip. Soon she gives up and hangs her head, whimpering.

The chef brings her back, sitting her in the cart. He closes the door, moving back to the guard's meal.

Bridgette looks down and sits against the side. She grabs her ears again, afraid everyone is looking at her.

The guards remove their helmets, all chatting with eachother. They begin eating. "What is this food?" One says. "It's pretty decent... you made this from a soldier's ration?" The chef nods, brushing his black hair back.

Bridgette shrinks and holds her legs to her chest. Her ears lowered and her head resting on her knees. She doesn't eat.

The cook glances at the cart from the corner of his eye.

"Hey, greenie!" The man that was watching Bridgette calls out.

She jolts "W-what?" She looks up at him.

He looks at her curiously. "You were the girl from the dungeon." He chuckles lightly. "What, did your prince fail to save your hide?"

"M-my prince? I dont have a prince..." she shakes her head and pulls on her clipped ear.

A: Oh! Little backstory-
When Bridgette was a baby she was kidnapped by people who wanted to put her in a zoo, and they clipped her ear but then Nixxiom killed them all WOOOPS.

"That's such a silly thing to say."

"Come on greenie, I wasn't calling him your lover but that was definitely the prince I saw." The man was still, acting surprisingly content for a slave. "Oh wait, from what the king said, maybe the first wasn't too far from true."

".... what did the king say?" She looks confused and curious, studying the slave. "And why do you mock me?"

He rolled his eyes. "You do realize I'm not deaf. We all were there in front of the castle when you were picked up." He shrugs. "Besides, I don't think of it as mocking but just entertaining myself."

She giggles "You have a funny way of entertaining yourself. I normally sing." She walks over smiling "Would you like me to teach you? It could be fun!"

He shakes his head. "Not one for singin.'"

"Well, what do you like to do?" She sits in front of him crossing her legs smiling.

He leans against the side of the cart. "Is suppose magic tricks but, right now really is not the time."

"Magic! I had an uncle who did magic!"

A: Oh yeah! And she had a fake uncle that was actually just Nixxioms best friend who ended up beating her, rapping her dad, and tried to get her mom killed/arrested thousands of times. But he knew magic that's cool! His name is Maxim (spoilers).

L:N: AHHHH

She smiles wider "I'm sure you're very good at it. And it's probably more entertaining then making fun of my appearance. But if you aren't up to it, I can entertain you other ways."

"Eh sure, we've probably got another week of this until we reach a town so, go for it." He said shrugging, a few people looking up as well.

"Hmm...." she thinks for a moment "Want me to tell a story? It's about my good friend Titan!" She proceeds to tell about about Titan's threats and how she ended up feeding them dead animals.

He grins. "Wargons always act so tough but they're just dogs on the inside." He says with a laugh.

Bridgette laughs and nods. Suddenly she stops "Wait.... how do you know about them?"

"Everyone has their secrets." He taps his nose.

She looks curious and confused. She purses her lips and nods "Okay then..."

"Anyway, I'm sure--"

A guard elbows the side of the crate. "Enough talking. To sleep, all of you!" He orders and the man shrugs, leaning back against another slave who just sort of looks at him annoyed.

Bridgette smiles a bit and goes back to the boy. She sits next to him. "May I sleep here tonight?"

He nods stiffly and leans his head against the wood.

Bridgette lays her head in her knees and holds them to her chest, clinging to the key. She realizes she could help most of these people feel happy if she stayed, so she decides to stop trying to escape.

That night, the chef stays up, being the insomniac he is. He takes first watch, secretly grabbing some charcoal from the now dead fire and smearing it on his hands, before coating his hair.

A: (WAIT- IS THAT-)

*********

A/N: Lol sorry for the mess ups in there XD I fail.

L/N: Oh I felt so proud of all of this..