The Understanding

Bridgette knocks on the door, and her ears lower thinking about him.

"Come in." Kogan says, shoving a cookie in his mouth.

Bridgette walks in slowly and looks at him. "Um... h-hi..."

Kogan was lying on the couch, eating a box of cookies in his room. "Whab bo bou wamb?" He mutters, his face feeling sticky from the moist pillow under his cheek.
He chews on the cookie slowly.

"Awww..." Bridgette smiles a bit and walks over "You're like a cute little baby..." She holds out her arms to him to give him a hug.

Kogan doesn't move, swallowing the cookie. "Im sorry," he sniffles."I was going to make you a dress but..." he looks to a pile of scraps. "I think I broke it.."

"No no no Kogan it's okay..." She hugs him "Wanna tell me what's wrong?"

Kogan sniffles again. "I made you sad.. I'm sorry.." Kogan starts nibbling on another cookie. "And I miss Tobias.. before we went on vacation.."

She turns his face to hers "Kogan, tell me one good reason why you love Tobias." Her eyes are angry, though her ears droop.

He rubbed his nose. "He used to dance with me.. when Alek was busy. And.. he would watch plays with me.." Kogan scowled at the carpet. "And then he became mean."

Bridgette nods. "... Timber used to play with me... and teach me cooking... the problem is that those people we care about," she grabs his hands gently "still had choices... and they chose very damaging choices..."

Kogan nods. "I should have listened..Alek told me not to hire him when we met.." Kogan leaned into her. "Then none of this would have happened."

Bridgette chuckles halfhearted "We have too much in common Kogan... and I understand you were hurt... but you have to accept it..."

"I know." He sighs. He holds out a cookie to her. "Want one?" He eats one, still holding it out.

She giggles and takes one "Thank you." She eats it "mmm... that's good..."

"I know!" He swallows. "Alek's mom always made them for me, so she gave me the recipe! The cooks almost make it perfectly!"

Bridgette giggles again "That's sweet..." She hesitates "... How did two women fall for the king? It doesn't make sense unless he forced them..."

"I don't know.. maybe he was sad because he lost his true love! I mean, no offense to my Mother, but her marriage was arranged." Kogan nibbled on another cookie.

"I don't think she takes it offensive. And I like the king, I just wish I could help him somehow. Make him happier I mean. In the real way." She takes another cookie.

Kogan giggled, feeling much better. "What if we make him cookies?!"

Bridgette laughs "Maybe... I'm not too good at cooking cookies..." She has a memory of when Timber's nose began bleeding while they made cookies. "Uh... m-maybe something else? Cake perhaps?"

Kogan grins. "WE CAN DECORATE A CAKE!"

Bridgette giggles and nods "Yup! And we can give it to the king tonight!"

Kogan jumps up. "Then it will have to be perfect!!"

She nods and jumps up "It will be!" She grabs his hand and takes him to the kitchen.

Kogan smiles. "I actually don't know how to bake a cake." He laughs.

"I do!" She pours some flour into a bowl. ".... I think I do!" She giggles and begins putting stuff in the bowl "Come on!"

Kogan grins and starts to stir whatever she puts in.

When she's done, she starts the oven and helps Kogan put it in. "Now we wait!"

Kogan laughs, "WAITING!"

"Yup!" Bridgette laughs and begins singing a song. "There is an inn a merry old inn sitting utop the old grey hill," her smile suddenly falls as she thinks about her papa.

Kogan seems confused. "Why would a hill be gray? Usually hills are green..or yellow... or..brown?"

"I-its a song papa used to sing to me..." She looks away her ears lowering "The grey is from the ash... the inn symbolizing friendships and the ash symbolizing their death-"

Kogan smiles. "At least they are all together, right? I mean, if they're all friends, I'm sure they would prefer to go together!" He reaches into a cupboard and grabs some decoration items.

"Maybe... that's why papa hasn't come back..." She hangs her head "He wants to be with everyone we've lost rather than me..." tears fill her eyes.

"That couldn't be true!" Kogan sits on the counter. "There is a saying that says if you love someone let them go. Maybe he saw his friends, like in the song. He might just trust you enough to feel like he could stay and let you do what you want with your life!" Kogan kicked his feet as they dangled off the counter. "I bet that he is hearing you right now!"

Bridgette whimpers "I don't want to let papa go... I don't want to be alone..." She bites her bottom lip and shrinks to keep in her tears.

Kogan goes up and hugs her. "You're not alone! You have me and Alek and I'm sure there are so many others!"

She whimpers "I know.... but... my papa..."

"Just because he's not at your side, doesn't mean he isn't watching over you." Kogan keeps hugging her. "Alek used to think the same thing. He used to talk to her, well, to himself. He always felt like she would be there to say things back to him!"

"B-but.... does this mean papa doesn't want to come back to me?" She looks at Kogan and sniffs.

"It means he will be glad to see you when your time comes." Kogan smiles.

Bridgette looks down, not feeling much better bit appreciating his effort "Yeah... thanks kogan... let's take out the cake."

*****
A/N: AWWWWW KOGAN IS SUCH A GOOD!

L/N: Hats off to my dear cousin for thinking up that beauty of a prince!