The Golden Child

After a while, Bridgette shrinks and glances around at everyone.

The guards surrounded the cart, separated by two groups of five. There was a child across from Bridgette, his head buried in his knees which were held to his chest. He seemed no older than ten.

"H-hey..." Bridgette crawls over to him, grabbing his hands "It's okay... what's wrong?"

The boy looks up, his eyes a surprising golden with a scar down the side of his face. He turns away quickly. "Don't look at me!"

"Hey hey it's okay..." she smiles a bit and lifts his head to face her. "Look!" She wiggles her ears and giggles "I look pretty weird too., but I like it! What happened?"

The boy shrank back. "Why should I tell you?!"

Bridgette smiles kindly "Because you're scared.... and talking will make you feel a lot better. I promise."

The boy puts his head back into his knees. "I don't wannna talk about it."

Bridgettes face falls and she nods "Okay.... I understand..." she pauses. She sits beside the boy carefully and smiles whispering "Guess what? I think you'll get bought by a really nice person. With really kind eyes and an understanding heart. They will feed you sweets everyday and treat you like a prince!"

The boy looks up at her slightly. "You think so?"

She nods smiling warmly. "Mhm! They'll be like your new parents! You'll be taken care of. I'm sure of it." She wiggles her ears and crosses her eyes.

He giggles softly. "I bet you'll be expensive.."

"What makes you say that?" She smiles yet tilts her head confused.

"Because you're pretty and nice.." he looks up to her a bit more. "There are going to be a lot of people in Castoria who will want you. I'd hope none of the scholars though..."

"Oh... thank you..." she looks a bit embarressed and confused. "The scholars? Why not the scholars?"

He rests his head on his knee. "The scholars in Castoria are completely into one subject and will do anything to study it... if one chooses you, because you look different, they would try all kinds of things and they wouldn't care about morals because it's 'in the name of science.'"

Bridgette turns pale and her smile falls. She pulls her ears down and stares at the ground. "... I would rather be bought by a creep then scholars...." she curls up "but we'll be fine... I promise..." she gives him a smile.

He nods, slightly unsure but glad to have someone to talk to.

Bridgette listens to everyone crying or silent. She sighs and takes a deep breath. Softly she begins singing. "There is an inn a merry old inn atop the old grey hill..." she continues singing the song.

The boy leans against her, listening to her sing, the guards even listening as they walked on.

Bridgette continues and smiles a bit, holding the key as she sings.

When she finishes she shuts her eyes and let's the last note hang in the silence.

*******

A/N: Short chappies rn. But they won't be soon trust me. Right L?

L/N: HEHEHEHE