The Spit

After hours more of walking. "Alright men! That's enough. Set up camp and check out rations! Tomorrow is the halfway mark. Make sure we have more left than we've used."

The cook sets down the ingredients and pots and spoons.

He begins counting food items, realizing that he's used more food than he should have.He looks back to the cart, hoping his food hasn't been going to waste. He decides to go without food, giving his portion to Bridgette.

A: (AWWWWW OKAY THAT'S REALLY CUTE)

He stretches, his back sore and feet aching and stinging with blisters.He starts on the fire, cooking dinner.

Bridgette wakes up to the smell and opens her eyes slowly. The smell is wonderful and she tries to hide her want for it.

The guards were served first. The slaves were fed some beans and rice, the cook using his own butter to add flavor to it. The slaves took it from him, happy to be eating something other than oatmeal.

The cook held a bowl with abbot of corn and peas for Bridgette.

Bridgette looks at it and then at the food the other slaves are eating. She opens her mouth to speak but can't find anything to say.

The cook places it by her side. "Hm."

"Why..." She looks at it and debates. She hits it over "I told you I'm not hungry!"

"I want you to." He says, frowning with concern. "It's not okay to go without food, whether it kills you or not."

Bridgette shakes her head "I said no! So no!"

"You'll wish you had eaten tomorrow." His voice was filled with warning.

"What makes you say so?"

"Because I've been walking for days and know how much people should eat." He ignores the feeling of hungry the smell of food was making him.

"Then why won't you eat it?!"

"I have eaten." He says, the lie not entirely false, after all he had at one point.

Bridgette glares "Well then you shouldn't be hungry. Eat my food for all I care."

"I'm not and you're going to eat."

"Make me." Her eyes stare daggers into him.

He sits down across from her, a slave moving over so he doesn't touch them. "Say please."

"What?" She looks confused and irritated.

"It's for your benefit, so say please." He took some of the rice from the bowl into the  spoon.

"I'm not going to say please to you feeding me!"

He shrugs. "At least you told me to, I suppose that counts as asking."

"WHAT?! NO! THAT'S NOT TRUE! I DIDN'T ASK!"

"If I remember correctly you did indeed say 'make me'." He holds the spoon out, smiling under the helmet, "Open wide."

Bridgette shakes her head and backs up against the side, growling "It was.... it's like... I DONT KNOW BUT WHEN PEOPLE SAY THAT THEY DON'T ACTUALLY MEAN FOR PEOPLE TO DO IT!"

He moves the spoon so it's on her mouth. "You know you want to... just smell the buttery rice, the ripe corn and peas..."

Bridgette shakes her head and shuts her eyes, keeping her mouth shut tight as she tries to ignore the delicious smell.

"Imagine how it will taste! The beans perfectly cooked by an expert!"

"EXPERT?!" She looks at him with angry bewilderment at his statement.

He sticks the spoon in her mouth. "Of course. I learned from the best. Chew."

Bridgette whines. She chews and swallows. Pouting when she's done.

He gets another spoonful. "Don't be that way, you know it's good." He holds the next bite out for her.

She glances at it then looks at him, staring angrily as she takes a bite.

He nods. "That's right. You love it." He gets another bite ready as she chews. "So, now that I have your attention, is it too salty?"

Bridgette bitterly spits it at him, getting it all over his armor. 

He sighs, his helmet looking down. "Well great, I know it's dirty but I apparently can't see myself. What a shame." He stands. "I hope you keep eating." He places it next to her and walks out, taking off his helmet and cursing.

Bridgette glances at the food and stares at it. Once he's gone she takes it slowly and begins eating it.

The cook sits down by the fire, taking off his chest plate and cleaning it.

L: (Well he needed a cloth of SOME kind to clean it. He uses his shirt)

L: (Because to heck with it.)

A: (AH)

Bridgette finishes her food and sets it aside, but catches sight of the cook. She stares.

The cook sighs, setting his chest plate down and standing. The other guards started to head to bed. The cook put out the fire.

L: (Already so hot he need no fire)

Bridgette quickly looks away and hits her head over and over. She shakes her head and lays down to sleep.

The cook looks around, no one paying attention to him,  and puts more charcoal in his hair. He hums quietly, singing the song he made for Bridgette.

Bridgette dreams of the song and smiles in her sleep.

He pulls on his shirt, leaving the chest plate off, taking first shift again.

*******

A/N: NEXT CHAPTER - THE HALFWAY POINT! MWAHAHAH.

L/N: Oh heavens, I forgot I wrote that! XD