The Second Chance

Alek feels the urge to hug her. He looks to her, his eyes regretful. "I was jealous." He says, not really sure how to start off, and chooses there.

She hiccups again and looks confused, tilting her head to the side. "H-huh...?"

Alek looks away. "That guard... I was jealous of him. I shouldn't have been, but then he scared me, I was worried, and you're no idiot... if anyone is it's me."

"Y-you weren't an i-idiot!" Tears roll down her cheeks but she doesn't even notice. She hiccups again "I-i thought you said I was."

"I never meant it... do you remember all the times I've said that you were brilliant, beautiful?" Alek rubbed his neck lightly. "I hadn't realized what I was saying yesterday. I did before then."

Bridgette stares at him and sniffs. "W-why were you jealous...?"

"He could just walk into your life..I didn't want to be..." Alek pauses, sorting through his thoughts. "I didn't want to be left behind."

"Y-you wouldn't have! Y-you're still *hic* m-my best friend!" She whimpers and trembles "I-i didn't mean to hurt your f-feelings! H-honest!"

Alek turns to her. "You've done nothing wrong."

"B-but you were h-hurt because of me! I-im sorry!" She looks as if she's going to cry more.

Alek moves by her side. "Bridgette, don't say things like that. It's not because of you, because I care for you. I choose to do these things to myself because I know that you're worth it. You've done so much good for so many people." Alek smiles softly. "You're more of a hero than I could ever be."

Bridgette looks at him before hugging him with weak arms. ".... You're my hero Alek... A-after everything you've done for me... for everyone... You're a h-hero..."

Alek sits next to her on the bed. "No I'm not. I've hurt you and that is a crime in itself." Alek hugs her lightly. "You almost took your life because I failed to be there..."

Bridgette whimpers "B-but..." She finds nothing to say and just cries a bit. "I... i-i was mean t-too..."

"Yet you were always doing what was right. You were only defending others or yourself. You don't understand it yet, but people need you, I need you." He brushes a strand of her hair out of her face.

Bridgette looks up at him. "Y-you do...? Why...?" She hiccups and tries to get closer to him.

"You are someone who can make any day seem wonderful. You know when I've gone too far. You treat me kindly..." Alek smiles a bit. "Before you I only had Kogan... he wants to help, but he doesn't understand..."

Bridgette smiles a bit "R-really...?" She hiccups and trembles. "A-alek...?"

"Yes." He leaned closer. "I owe a lot to you..."

Her face turns pink and she looks at him with tired low eyes. "I... could you..." She whispers. Her hands are on his shoulders and She stays close "I... i-i mean I am going to lose my memory soon... and maybe w-when I do you can lose some of yours as well... so... i... I'm o-only curious and all.... n-not that it means anything..." She looks into his eyes "... Could you.... kiss me?"

Alek's face turns pink. "My lady I..." his heart skips a beat. He smiles lightly. "I... may I?"

"Yes please..." She blushes and looks to the side "I-i mean if you want to... I-it doesn't mean anything! W-well it won't anyway..."

Alek places a hand on her cheek. "Nothing would make me happier." He leans forward, kissing her. His face heats up, his his heart racing.

Bridgette kisses back and shuts her eyes. Her face burns and her heart seems to stop. Slowly, she pulls away and looks at his lips, then his eyes.