Chapter 39

Chris

The room was spinning and my head was pounding. The knocking on the door only made it worse. I walked down the hall to the front door.

"Yoooo." I paused "Mama? What are you doing here?"

"I came to check up on you." She closed the door and looked around "This place is a mess. You need to clean up."

"I know I know."

"What is this?"

I looked up and she had a empty codeine bottle in her hand. I grabbed it before she could finish reading it. "Nothing mama."

She grabbed my arm and turned me towards her. "Are you back on that shit again?" She looked at my eyes.

"Nah man." I went into the kitchen

"Have you been taking your medicine?"

"Nah." I shook my head. "I don't need it."

"So you're a psychiatrist now?" She crossed her arms "They wouldn't have put you on that medicine if you didn't need it."

"I haven't took it in months and I'm fine."

"Yea. Of course you are. You'll say anything. That medicine keeps your head on straight. Without it, you're liable to change within seconds."

"I'm good mama. Trust me."

"You don't look good."

I grabbed my phone out of my pocket. Lauren texted me, inviting me to the party she's throwing for Lyric's first birthday.

"Are you even listening to me?" She snatched my phone.

I ran my hands over my face before sitting down. "Can I have my phone back?"

"Who is Lyric?"

"My daughter."

"Your daughter?! When were you going to tell me?"

I shrugged. "That's why I was in Virginia. She had a baby shower."

"And you didn't tell me!" She hit me with her bag. "How old is she?"

"1. I think"

"You think?"

"Yeah. I haven't seen her in a while. I can't deal with my babymama."

"What does that have to do with you being there for that baby? I could knock your head off right now. How could you not tell me something like that? And to have her right there in Virginia and didn't bring her to meet me."

"She's too busy with her perfect life and perfect boyfriend." I threw my phone as I got angry

"Christopher! Calm yourself down! Right now!"

I zoned out and sat there as she continued to talk. I was tired of hearing her mouth already.

Lauren