Chapter 14: Home Not So Sweet Home

Your time living with Aaliyah was coming to a close as the next week staying at the dorm ended. You decided to return to your "home" on Sunday so you could cleanup and neaten the house before your Uncle came back on Monday.

You take your bag and leave the dorm room. Aaliyah gets teary at your departure as if she would never see you again. You shake your head at your dramatic friend.

"Aaliyah, you'll see me tomorrow. You can let go of me now."

"No. I don't want you to go. I want to wake up to the smell of the breakfast you make every morning. I want you to help me decide what to wear and walk with me to work and watch movies with me late at nig-"

"Aaliyah." You shake her by the shoulders.
" I'm not that far away. Also I'm going back home not breaking up with you so chill. I'll bring food for you everyday and if it makes you feel better I can come to the dorm first and we can walk to work together still."

She pouts at you and you roll your eyes at her. The tone of your cellphone cuts the conversation and you notice the unknown number calling again. You were getting these calls more frequently and it disturbed you slightly but you just ignored the unease it caused you.

You smile at your friend one last time before hugging her and saying "see you later." Goodbyes were never your thing.

You usher Jun into the cab you called and you go back to the place you really weren't missing.
*****

You get home and notice the door unlocked. Your immediate thoughts are that there was a burglary.  You push Jun behind you as you carefully open the door.

The house seemed to be untouched,  everything was in it's place. It was all in all the same as it was before you left: unhomely.

Still cautious you start walking towards your room before you hear the voice of person you dreaded.

"Where have you been?"

From the terrified look on Jun's face you know what you heard wasn't part of your imagination.

You turn around and your eyes meet with that of a monster. Fear builds up in your chest but not for yourself, for Jun. For most of Jun's life you were able to shield him from your uncle. But he was bigger now, more mature than most seven year olds.

You feared that he would defend you infront of your uncle. Without thinking much you push Jun into your room which was behind where you were currently standing. You lock the door and prepare yourself for the wrath of the devil's nightmare.

"I-I was with Hani."

"DON'T LIE TO ME!" He yelled. You could hear Jun hitting the locked door asking you to release him and begging Uncle Lee not to hurt you.

"I'm not lying."

"You were with her for a whole week?"

The revelation of your uncle's week early return was shocking to you but you had no time to be shocked. You needed to lie about your whereabouts. You had no choice.

"I stayed with her because of your bus-business trip."

He yanks you foward by your hair and you cry out in pain. 

"When will the lying stop? Will it ever stop, you good for nothing whore?"

The words were hurtful but you soldiered through it all.

He lets go of your hair but he wasn't done yet. He clenches his fist and aims it at your left eye. Bruising was inevitable. You hold back the tears as you feel your eye start yo swell.