XVIII.

Warner entered his small room---it was his office or layer, in Lindsey's opinion. He trotted through the door and entered to seat himself at his desk. He then picked up his phone and dialed a number he had known for years and let it ring a while.

"Hello?" the voice lingered as usual.

"We have an issue," he stated clearly.

"What?"

"Lindsey has total control over Stevie. I don't know how he did it, but he has the power to take her in and out as he pleases," he said, worry in his tone.

"Did you even get to test her?"

"Nope! Lindsey came in and screwed up. I didn't get to do the truth serum, or anything."

"Alright, alright---don't panic. There is time and if something happens to her before he tests---he'll have no choice but to keep her, right?"

"Right..." he stared blankly for a minute. "I got," he assured.

"Cool, call me when things shape, right."

"Sure thing," Warner assured. He settled the phone back on the hook and did his nest to think about what he was going to do.

Lindsey was just leaving Stevie for the night, when he made his way to his office. He was just going to look over possible messages from the phone. He would also get his coat and briefcase full of papers. Most of them were regarding Stevie. He pressed the button---that was below the tiny, blinking red light signaling there was a missed call.

"Hello, doctor, this is Richard O'Connell---Stephanie O'Connell's husband. I was just wondering if there was anyway I could see her? she told me the last time I saw her, not to come back. I would like to try and see her, perhaps change her mind on the things that happened between us."

Lindsey leaned forward, resting his elbows on the table as he took in the recorded message. He didn't know if them meetimg was a good idea. Stevie would be upset and Rick could end up dead---so he really pondered it.

Lindsey picked the phone up and called the number back.

"Hello?" Rick answered.

"Hey, mister O'Connell---this is Lindsey Buckingham, regarding your wife, Stephanie."

"Ah, yes! you got my message?" he asked---a prominent smile on his face.

"I did, in fact---that is the reason, I am calling," he chuckled.

"Well, anyway, I was just wondering if I could meet her. Regardless of what she says, I do miss her and love her."

"Understandable," Lindsey bit the inside of his mouth---holding back what he wanted to say. He actually couldn't stand the man, after knowing he had something to do with the disappearance of his own child. He cleared his throat. "I don't know how smart that would be..." he paused.

"Excuse me," he laughed. "Why not?"

"Well, to be fair---she is in a mental institution. There has been an issue and I apologize for your wish not being granted, but it isn't the best idea right now. She already made it clear that she did not want to see you, nor some others. But I will run it by her, no questions asked."

"Alright, sounds good. Call me as soon as you know."

"Of course---I'll call you tomorrow," he assured before hanging the phone up. He chewed on the inside of his mouth, trying to decide what he wanted to do. He knew he had to ask Stevie.

~

"Do I get to strangle him?" Stevie asked---after Lindsey laid the news on her the next day. He didn't want to ask her in the morning because, that would ruin her whole day.