XXVIII.

"No, actually---we were off for a drive," Lindsey responded. He held Stevie close and started guiding her back to the car as if she was too weak to, on her own. He wrapped her coat around her tightly as he helped her sit down and he whispered to her to close her eyes. He was trying to treat her as if she was a real patient---babying was the key.

"Why a drive so early in the morning?" Rick asked---shoving his hands in his pockets.

"Because she wanted him by her," doctor Leonard came out---seeing that the other doctor and Rick had shown up way early and unexpected. "She was asking for him most of the night---so we thought a drive outside the hospital would be good for her, for now."

"What are you doing out this way anyway?" Lindsey asked before shutting the car door, for her to stay out of the conversation. He knew she wouldn't say anything, but he had to make the scene look good.

"I just wanted to see how my girl was---" Rick said. "I went to the institution, but doctor Warner said she wasn't there. He told me, he was on his way---so I offered him a ride."

Lindsey kind of nodded. He knew that wasn't the truth, but he thought that was a good enough story to slide. Still, he was missing minor details, but he let it go.

"May I?" Rick gestured to see his wife.

Lindsey stepped aside---letting him know he wasn't hiding anything.

Rick made his way and pilled open the car door just see his wife, looking tired. She had small bags under her eyes---though that was lack of sleep from the night before, unbeknownst to him, of course. Her hair was straight, but messily tousled. Her eyes looked like they were swimming in water---but she did that on purpose. She had let her eyes shut half way, as if she were trying to keep them open. Rick gently placed his fingers under her chin and tilted her head his way, to see her beautiful features.

Her eyes fell on his features and even though she wanted to scream at him and beat the hell out of him, she just tilted her head as if she were confused. She put her hand up to touch his face---lightly dragging her fingers over the side of his face.

"I'm sorry, Stevie..." he shook his head, taking her in. "I'm sorry, they did this to you---" he had a sympathy filled expression and even then---she couldn't tell if he was bullshitting or not.

"I'm gonna take her to the park and let her feel some grass. I'll be back shortly," he told Leonard as he neared Rick at the passenger side.

"Okay---take care of her," Rick asked.

"Always," he assured.

"Let her come back when she pleases," Leonard assured his colleague. "She's been on a heavy medication since yesterday---she's pretty out of it."

"Thanks," Lindsey then stepped back to make it to the driver's seat, to get himself and Stevie out of there.

Rick shut Stevie's door and he walked away.

Lindsey started to drive away, almost immediately. "That was a little close," he assured.

"Tell me about it," she sighed, finally sitting up since they were far. "I can honestly say, I don't think my visit will be that long. A mere couple weeks at the most."

"Why do you say that?" he asked.

"Well, the look on Rick's face right now was so..." she lingered trying to think of a word. "It was so motionless---helpless almost. But anyway, he will want me home if I am not remembering anything."

"What a sick prick," Lindsey commented.

"Right? what a life we created. Who knew my husband was so evil. Ugh! I gotta stop saying husband, we're divorcing," she reminded herself.