XLIX.

Lindsey met Stevie at the coffee shop with her parents. That would be more of a question, when they found out he was the father of her child. Stevie was in no way ashamed to show off Lindsey, but she hated questions. She just wished everybody could read her mind sometimes so she wouldn't have to explain.

When Lindsey arrived, he parked right next Stevie and entered---head high. He was typically out going and it was easy to be since he was a doctor.

"Hey," he smiled at her and pecked Stevie's lips.

Barbara and Jess kind of creased their brows. Their daughter didn't really mention she had a relationship with Lindsey in that way.

"Hi," Stevie said softly, afterwards. She was happy to have him in her presence again. Things had become less tense since talking to her mom and dad for a while. She was starting to get comfortable, but she did feel vulnerable without Lindsey there. She had felt very much like a lost puppy the last few days. "Mom, dad, this is Lindsey Buckingham---the good doctor who's been taking care of me," she gestured lightly with her hand. She wasn't standing---she left that to Lindsey and her parents.

Jess leaned forward to shake his hand. "Good too meet you, Lindsey---" he stated nicely.

"Likewise," Lindsey smiled---then reaching to Barbara.

"It is," Barbara smiled. "How are you?" she shook his hand as well.

"I'm..." he kind of paused. "I'm alright," he kind of nodded. He wasn't being happy-pappy, but he was serious. Stevie's pain affected him a lot---he hurt for her.

Stevie put her hand on his knee and kind rubbed it, giving him a sympathetic smile. She appreciated his outgoing-ness and trying to communicate.

The small group talked together for a moment, getting to know Lindsey and then they spoke individually for a while; Stevie and her mother and then Jess and Lindsey. Jess had gone into thanking the younger man for taking care of his daughter. Stevie and Barbara talked about the new baby and different random things. Stevie never really mentioned it, but she did mention that she and Lindsey were a couple in sorts. They didn't exactly have a title, but he was close to her. It was safe to say the word soulmate. Stevie felt strongly that he was.

"I think we are gonna go, dear," Barbara stated---gathering her things.

"Yes, it's getting late---" Jess pulled his wallet.

"We got it," Stevie stated. "Don't worry about it," she assured them. She wasn't very abrupt, but just telling. She got their bill for them often.

"Are you sure?" Barbara asked.

"Yes," Lindsey responded.

Both Stevie and Lindsey stood to meet the older couple, bidding a nice farewell.

"Take care, baby," Barbara kissed her daughter and ran her fingers through her blonde strands.

"I will," she mentioned---nodding. She was fully aware of her own state and that she was taking on so many things.

Soon after, Stevie hugged her dad and they talked. Her parents had already apologized to her for believing Rick. Stevie was understanding---she knew it wasn't their fault. She knew the depctions she showed made her look unwell.

Stevie and Lindsey then hung back and stayed in the cafe for a little bit. They talked briefly and they shared their thoughts on some things. It was amazing how they were communicating---almost with their eyes. Stevie wasn't reading and neither was he.

"Do you think--"

"No," he shook his head. He knew she was asking of the information she gave.

She nodded in return. She felt like she gave too much away to her parents. Too much for them to believe her.