XLVI.

After getting her son where he needed to be, Stevie and Lindsey went home to his house. Stevie cried most of the way but she was more peaceful than before. She was actually relieved. Her son was finally at rest.

"Stevie, I'm sorry," he told her---taking her hand in his. He was upset knowing she had worked so hard in finding him and he just died at the scene.

"There's nothing to be sorry about," she claimed. "He knew it was going to happen."

"Still, you've had a lot of tough things to deal with in all of this---I'm sorry I couldn't do anything."

"But you did," she smiled at him a little---knowing the baby inside her was clearly is doing. Even if it as unintentional, it still happened and there as a reason for that. "Everything seems to be falling into place now..."

Lindsey kind of glanced at her as he continued driving. He wanted a small explanation as to what she was saying. She seemed to be so calm, so he hoped she wouldn't fall in to a deep, depressed mourning, later on.

"Warner is dead---sucks he took the coward's way out. My son is at peace after seven years of his short life. Rick is in jail for turning himself in, probably going to prison in the next few days. And we have a baby on the way---I think we're fine."

"Yeah... about the baby. Stevie, did you know?" he asked her. He was a little concerned that she did, and maybe didn't tell him. 

"No," she shook her head. "Solan told me when he told me the other things," she assured. "If I'd have known I would have shared. And you can be sure it's yours," she put her hand over his and gently squeezed it.

He kind of chuckled. He was a little more relieved---he would have been hurt if it was Rick's, but he knew she was faithful---even if their relationship was a little bit of an affair. She was still married to Rick, after all.

"Solan said, he knew for a long time. He said, that's why it would be easier for me to let him go. I don't think I'll ever be able to let him go, but I think he meant cope."

"He's a smart little boy."

Stevie kind of smile---she knew Lindsey was talking present tense for her. "He is," she squeaked under her tears.

...

Pulling to his home, Lindsey got off the car and helped her to step down.

"Thank you," she sniffled as the cold air hit her face once again. "What time is it?" she asked as she took in the dark sky.

"Almost two," he responded.

"Hmm..." she hummed.

"What's up? Baby naming in your head already?" he chuckled.

"Sort of," she giggled in return. "I have a lot of little things in my mind."

He smiled, "Do you have any idea how far you are?" he asked as he pushed open the front door.

"Mm... not that long I don't think. It would have to be the say before you took me to your colleague's. I was there a week and I have been here for a month and a half or so," she shrugged. "The doctor's may not even be able to see that I am pregnant yet, but Solan could feel it. I sensed stuff off with me, but parts of me didn't want to fathom another baby. Not without knowing Solan was alright first."

"Well, he at peace now and he is probably more than happy to know you have something to take care of you," he guided her through the door and to the dining room. "By the way, how could he tell there was baby?"

"Intuition... he was really strong, could've been stronger than me," she added. "But something tells me this one is going to be even stronger," she put her hand on her stomach," with you as dad... I think they'll be smarter than both of us combined," she winked.