Chapter 24

As jake and I walk hand in hand I set my head on his shoulder and we enjoy the silence. We finally arrive and it is a small building that reads:

Lindy's Dance Studio.

"Jake this is a dance studio?"

"We are gonna learn to ballroom dance!" he grins at me eagerly.

I begin to laugh.

"What's so funny?" jake questions.

"I kinda already know how."

"You do! I've never learned" jake looked down and rubs his hands through his hair.

"I might be rusty though a class won't hurt!"

Jake smiles and we walk in together.

We politely listen to the woman introduce herself as Lindy of corse. She explains how she started teaching and we get right into business.

She says now everyone take your partners. Jake and I step up to each other and he stares into my eyes blankly.

"Jake."

He is taken from his gaze.

"Huh? what?"

"Take my waist."

"Oh um yeah right"

Jake takes my waist and my hand and I can tell he doesn't know what to do next. I smile and look into his somewhat ashamed face.

"Having some problems over here?" Lindy cuts in on mine and jake's moment.

"Um yeah he has never ballroom danced before?"

"Well we are here to learn aren't we!"

Lindy had lots of enthusiasm.

"Ok well we are going to do the two step first, Jake you need to lead and be the man so show her where to go just one two step one two step" she says showing jake the movements of the feet.

"Okay I think I got it." jake looked nervous and I had never seen him actually try and dance before. I've seen him goof around on stage but I don't now how his rhythm is or anything. Hell I was nervous for him.

Jake starts his first step and is going great. by then end of the class I was completely swept off my feet. Jake had amazing rhythm and his build was perfect for leading. Jake was a natural. I was blown away.

Jake and I exit the studio arm in arm.

We head over to a hotdog truck and get a bite and sit at some nearby picnic tables.

"Thanks so much for taking me to the dance class it brought back memories"

"Your welcome, and memories of what?"

"Oh back home in Louisiana there is this thing called cotillion and you go and learn manners and learn how to dance and stuff it was alright just reminded me of when I was younger.When I didn't care."

"What do you mean didn't care?"

"Nothing!I just mean things didn't matter so much."

"No you mean something els I know it! You can tell me I want to be here for you!" jake gets off the bench and leans down to where we are face to face.

"I just mean like now I care about what guys think of me and rather a guys asks me to dance. Back then it didn't matter when I was alone I didn't care."

"Who in their right mind would not want to dance with you?" jake questions trying to look stunned.

I laugh a bit and respond.

"You would be surprised!"

I feel the moment getting too deep and I jump up and say "come on let's go back to the bus!"

"Not yet I have one more surprise!"

"Another one! Mr. Foushee flatter me any more and I might need to get my own crown!"

"Well you are indeed my little princess"