"Live Forever"

A:N: Hi! So, the idea for this came from elizabeth0078332 She requested that I write about Mac and the reader getting married. So, I decided to turn it into what I call a little "Mini Series." It will be three parts, starting with this one. This first part is inspired by lyrics from Kane Brown's "Live Forever."
(P.s. In this "series" the reader joins Phoenix after Jack leaves instead of Desi.)
Rating: Everyone

***

Part one: The Proposal 💍

"Life was just breathin' in and out. Like a movie with the sound turned down. It felt nothin' like I feel right now."

There's such a calmness in the air as you stare up at the night sky, so full of twinkling stars. It's as if the universe knows this isn't just any other night. Tonight is the night before your wedding.

You always thought you would feel nervous, overwhelmed even. But, surprisingly, you don't. In fact, you feel calmer than you ever have before.

People always say that you should marry your best friend, and that's exactly what Mac feels like to you. Maybe the sense of serenity comes from knowing that, even though life is so uncertain, no matter what the future holds, you know exactly who you want to be by your side.

You always used to worry about the future, especially in your dangerous line of work. But, Mac has made you realize that constantly looking into the future means that you miss out on the present. Now, with him, life means so much more, and you'll never take a single moment that you get to spend with him for granted.

Staring at the bright LA skyline and breathing in the cool, night air, you can't help but reminisce on all the little moments that led you to right now. You think about all the late night talks, the countless firsts, the carefree moments, and everything in between. Finally, you glance down at the ring placed proudly on your left hand, and your mind drifts to the day Mac put it there.

"You said hello and set the room on fire like technicolor in a jet black night. Suddenly the sky's never been so clear. Hey what you doin' in a thousand years?"

***Flashback***

"Mac, Y/N, I'm sending the two of you on a mission to gather intel on a group Phoenix has been watching for a while," Matty commands.

"Intel? That's it? Aren't there other teams for that?" you ask, not meaning to sound rude.

"No, I'm sending you two, and that's an order. Are you questioning my authority?"

"No, ma'am." You straighten your posture, and Mac chuckles slightly. "Definitely not."

"Good. Pack you're bags. You're plane to YYZ airport leaves in an hour."

***

When you touch down in Toronto, you glance out the window with a smile on your face. That's because this isn't just another mission in another city. Toronto is where you and Mac had your very first mission together. It's where everything started.

Soon, you're driving down the road in your rental to your stakeout destination.

Gazing out the window, a content sigh escapes your lips. "This place brings back so many memories," you say with another smile.

"Things certainly have changed since the first time we were here together," Mac admits.

"Ha. That's for sure. You know, I was convinced you wanted nothing to do with me when I first joined Phoenix."