Prologue

When I was little, my mother and father were well loved.

The family we had was perfect and peace– as long as we were together; nothing else mattered.

But then...

Spain came.

At first, he was a grumpy man, he was always sad and angry.

He always had his eyebrows furrowed, observing, examining...

But deep down I knew, he was a nice person.

So I made the first move and talked to him– I always see him talking to my father anyways and he's from a different country.

As a child, I was filled with curiosity.

We first met in the village, he was sitting on one of the rocks near the shore, watching the villagers and his people loading and unloading the boxes from their ship.

I could be curious what was inside those but...

Spain caught my attention.

He was probably a teenager when I met him, and brother can also be grumpy sometimes, I guess that's normal for their age.

At first he wouldn't talk to me, he would always ignore me, but as time goes by, he started opening up to me, he would always bring me pretty flowers, and he would always say these words to me.

"You're a wonderful pearl"

Every time he says that, he has those eyes so sincere and sweet.

But one day, another man came, he looked scary and Spain looked terrified of him as well.

It must've his father but, I can't see any hint of love for his son.

What was his purpose? Why were there many ships and soldiers?

I realized the truth too late...

Mother hid me and my brother.

I was scared and I didn't know what was happening.

Until we heard a loud bang...

My brother refused to let me know what was happening outside...

All he did was hug me tight and cried; we stayed there for almost like an hour until father found us.

He was full of bruises and wounds, there was blood stains on his right hand and on his itak.

Many decades past and Spain was able to colonize us, they took control of everything and anything they despise that we made, is a mistake and a mistake is death.

Yet, many of our people rebelled, they swore to gain the freedoms we deserve...

And even if I was also a leader, with a mind like mine; as a child, I couldn't understand...

I couldn't do anything...

But I do understand they were all killed without mercy.

Their deaths we're almost similar, yet most of them were killed by our own people...

After that, my country started to fight even more for freedom.

To regain our land back, to regain our territory back.

My father is a leader and ruled over a countless rebellions.

Countless fightings.

Countless bloodshed.

And never ending sweat and tears.

But we were successful in the end, and when the Spaniards refused to acknowledge the defeat we gave them.