16

A/N: Double update after forgetting to press update instead of save last week. (It's also a bit of a short chapter but the next ones aren't) Le Update - Enjoy Xx

☆ ☆ ☆

"Wake up already!" Mia jumps on top of me making me groan in pain. Wow she's getting heavy now.

"I'm up." I chuckle at her eagerness. It's so refreshing to see her act like a child should again. I can only hope that the children in Outpost 5 will get this chance but the only way to do that would be wipe out the wolves. How on Earth am I supposed to kill packs and packs of wolves?!

It's Day 3. Mia and I haven't left the room since that dreaded night. Every time I close my eyes I'm plagued with that psychotic grin of Alpha Alexander Black. It haunts me but is nowhere near as haunting as the mere thought that Ryan is...because of me. His parents now childless. Friends now friendless. Mate (if he has one) now mateless. Kids (if he has them) now fatherless. All because I was weak and jumped in front of that girl back home.

Ryan may have been a despicable, disgusting, bad dude but he didn't deserve to die. Not like that at least. No one deserves to die like that. The mere thought of how he died has my stomach churning is disgust. The look of fear in his eyes is permanently branded on the back of my eyes, blaming me every time I blink.

Besides, he didn't even know I was his Alpha's mate when he did what he did. Albeit, he shouldn't treat any of us humans in Outpost 5 like that but he's a wolf. What is a weak human like me going to do against a wolf? They're bigger, stronger, faster and way more deadly. When they want something, they get it.

How could I (supposedly) be mated to such a heartless, savage beast? I don't want this. I don't want to be here. I just want everything to go back to normal before the wolves became known and suppressed the shit out of humans. All of their laws and customs only cause havoc for my kind. How and why am I supposed to conform to their society?

I'm a human! Not a wolf. I don't understand their customs or their way of life or their endless number of rules that they live by within this deadly hierarchy. Humans eliminated dictators for a reason! Because they're dicks! It's in the name! I just don't understand any of it.

"You need to have a quick shower Mia." I remind her since she didn't have one yesterday.

"Ugh, fine." She grumbles, climbing off the bed and shuffling her way to the bathroom where she slams the door shut on me.

"Need a hand?" I call out to her.

"No."

I chuckle and release a long sigh. I hardly slept a wink last night. I've hardly slept at all these past few days actually. I can't seem to get comfortable but even when I do and start to nod off, all these horrible images plague my mind and wake me up again. Kimon. Ryan. Alexander. All of it.

I know I can't keep Mia snd me locked up in this room forever, she'll start to get suspicious and bored and there are only so many lies I can tell her. Besides, it's not like I can even keep us barricaded in here if I tried, the wolves outside can easily break the door down with less force needed than it takes to open a jar of pickled onions.

Once Mia is out, I grab her some clothes and braid her wet hair so that it doesn't get in her face. 2 days hidden is as long as I can keep Mia locked in here before she throws a tantrum.

"We can leave now, right?" She asks excitedly.

"Yeah." I sigh, dreading what may or may not be waiting for us downstairs. As we descend the stairs, the light chatter of people in the kitchen echoes around the marble halls.