59| From The Ground Up

Chelsea

Barcelona is one of the most beautiful cities in the entire world, I always knew that. And being here was just a testament to that, the pictures I had seen were great but being here and seeing all these beautiful sights made it all the more better.

But our time here was coming to a end. We made it to most of the places on my list and I don't think I've ever been so happy. This whole experience has made me realize that it's okay to have dreams, even if they scare you. They should scare you, that's how you know if it's worth it or not. Only your fear of losing it all shows how much you care about it. And it makes it that much better once your dream does comes true.

As we wrap up our time in Spain we find a nice little boat tour that went around the city. We've seen just about everything else but we haven't been able to see the city for the waters.

So Patrick rents a whole boat just because he could and they takes us around on the waters. I just sit in his arms as we don't say anything. Let the city speak to us as we float down the river.

"This city is so beautiful. I mean, Chicago is beautiful too. This is a different type of beautiful. Like pure beauty made from the hands of people, not machines. It was all designed and created but the people who knew this place to be home, they made it their home" I say.

"Well anything sounds beautiful when you say it" Patrick teases and I smile.

"I want a home like this. And I'm not saying that I want to move here and make this place my home. I'm saying I want a place that I can build, something I make my own. That way after a long hard day I can come home and look around and know that this place is here because I love my life and the people in it. They helped me build this life that I am proud of and I don't know what I would do without it" I explain.

"I think we should build a home, from the ground up. We can spend all summer on it and we can figure it out ourselves. It can be anything we want it to be, and when we get old and pass away our kids can live there and their kids too. It can be what our family will always have, a real home made by people who love them" he says.

I turn to look at him as he continues to stare off into this amazing city. "A family" I ask.

He smiles as he looks down at me in his arms. "With you, I want it all" he claims.

I smile back as I pull him into a soft kiss. Some homes you make but some homes you find, like the one I found in him.

"Can I tell you something" he asks me.

"Of course" I assure him.

"You know those moments when you're driving in a storm and you don't ever feel like you're going to get out of it. You feel like it's going to rain forever and you will never find your way out. It's dark and stormy and you feel trapped by it.

But then you go under a bridge and for a second it all stops. The rain stops coming down around you so forcefully. For the first time in a long time it's silent and you feel at peace. You feel like for a moment or so that life will slow down long enough for you to see clearly for once.

But then you leave form under the bridge and all hell breaks lose again. You believed for a second that things will get better but then you're reminded that it never ends. Every time you think you're past it it comes down harder and it's so hard to see.

You're my bridge Chelsea. You're the thing that stops the rain for a few moments so I can breathe. So I can look around and realize that it doesn't rain forever. But when it does I can count on you to be my break from it all. To be just what I need when I need it most. And I hope I can be your bridge too" he explains.

"Oh Patrick" I whisper. "That was amazing."

"And I meant every word" he promises.

"I know baby" I assure him. I could always tell when he's lying even if he couldn't tell. "That's why I'm okay with my home being with you, within you" I say.

"Why is this so important to you" he wonders.

"I never had a home. I had a house built by underpaid employees that my parents ordered around. I was forced to live there under their rules, the only home cooking from Michelle and the only time I felt safe was in my sisters room. My brothers were never home because they knew better than to be home if they could help it. So it was usually just me or Michelle and it never felt like home.

I would look at places like this, know that the foundations of these places were strong because it started in a good spot. The people who built it made were strong too but made sure that the door was always open to others. They are willing to grow with the people around them and that's what makes them so beautiful. It's art that never stops changing, that can always mean something to someone.

I guess I always just wanted meaning for everything that happened to me and I never got it" I shrug.

"Well I say we go back home and we find some land. We design a home and we build it, just like the people of Barcelona. And years from now we can look back and remember how it all started, when our relationship is so new and we had such big dreams. Bigger than this place. And we will be living those dreams while making new ones" he explains.

"I think that's a great idea" I smile.

"Are you sure? Because if you feel like we're moving too fast I get it. In my head we've been together since the start so it's not a shock to me" he defends.

I just chuckle as I shake my head. "I've waited my whole life for someone like you to come into my life and change me in the way you have. We might have only been together for a little while but I've been getting to know you and love you way longer than that. I know what you're like in the mornings and what food you like to eat. I know your daily routine and what you want in life. Making a home together is just another step in this relationship, whether we take this step now or later doesn't matter to me. As long as we take the step together" I say.

"I'm right here with you" he promises.