Where Did They Go

Chapter 7

Genesis walked to the small mountain the caves had been in before he diverted up the slope. There were parts of it that were steep, but for any that he couldn't just jump up, he was easily able to pull himself up. When he made it to the top, he found that his view was still hampered somewhat by the trees, but not so much that he couldn't see a village in the distance. He was surprised when he realized that it was much too far for even him to reach before morning, or at least not and still be able to return before their hostess had time to panic at his absence. Although he wasn't sure if she would. Something told him she had fully expected them all to try and ascertain the truth of her words.

He wondered briefly if the others had any better luck before he jumped up into one of the closest trees to see if he could find a better view. With the moon as bright as it was, he should have been able to see most things almost as well as if it had been daylight. Once he was up, he thought he could see the tale-tell sign of another village behind one of the neighboring hills, but he could only see the light reflected in the night sky and not any lights directly. It seemed as though they were truly isolated. He wondered how far away the women had to travel to find a spot like this. He could not ever remember seeing a place on Gaia like it, although he could freely admit he hadn't been everywhere. Still, he had been enough places that her story was sounding more likely.

He had been inclined to believe her anyway, as the incident with the mako left little room for doubt. Even if she had been manipulating it, that would make her a force to be reckoned with. Either way, he knew they would need to follow her, if for no other reason than to figure out if she had been the cause of their displacement or to find a way back if she was not. He spent another hour or so simply watching the night, to see if anything changed before he finally decided to head back. Even if he had no plans to sleep, he didn't want to delay their leaving in the morning. The quicker they could find answers, the quicker they could return.

-------------------------------------------------

As soon as the sun was up the next morning, Sherry was up so they could get things ready to leave. She felt a wave of panic when she noted that only four of the six men were still at camp. Both Sephiroth and Caius were gone. She had known they left the night before but had hoped they would have returned. There was no telling what kind of dangers they could get into in the unfamiliar world, or what kind of trouble they could cause. Once the panic died down, she realized it was unavoidable. These were all men that were used to being masters of their own lives. It wasn't surprising that they had to verify her words. She only hoped they realized they would have to work together if any of them planned on getting their lives back; the men anyway. She was still bitter at the fact that her life was irrevocably changed. She didn't let it show though, as she started to direct the remaining people in cleaning up, so they could leave.

Once they had everything stacked up except for the tent, she had saved breaking it down for last, she realized that it might be useful for them to be short by two people. Even though she had an SUV, travel would have been tight with all of them, even if she left all her supplies behind. It was supposed to be able to fit seven, but the back seat was only big enough for two people that weren't too tall, and most of the men were huge.

It was as she was debating whether to leave the stuff and come back for it later that both missing men returned. They were walking together, which caused Sherry to worry a little, but at least they didn't seem to have any animosity between them. When they stopped, it was Caius that spoke. "It would seem that you have shared the truth with us so far, even if that truth has been limited. Given what I have already seen, I will agree that your focus has something to do with helping us. I cannot, in good conscience, walk away from your assistance and doom you to a horrible fate without at least giving you a chance. That doesn't mean I plan to be complacent. If I feel you are not doing all you can, I will leave, no matter what world I find myself in."